Summary: Despite us having lived ungodly lives prior to our salvation, we can get our innocence back after getting saved. How?Because the old sinful self died with Christ and the New Creation being has never sinned! Gal. 2:20.
A. HUMOR: FUNNY RESOLUTIONS
1. “I have resolved not to do drugs anymore, because I get the same effect just standing up really fast.”
2. “I have resolved to live in my own little world, because at least they know me here.”
3. “I have resolved to stay married, because it is so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.”
4. “I have resolved to not make any resolutions, because nobody is perfect. I’m a nobody, therefore I’m perfect.”
“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland” Isa. 43:18-19. “Behold, I make all things new.” Rev. 21:5.
1. The beginning of a new year is a wonderful thing. It affords us new beginnings, new hopes, and new dreams. We can’t change the past, but 2017 holds out the possibility of a whole new life. Will we seize the opportunity?
2. The title of this message is “Made New.” We’re looking at the 3 things NEW about Christians since they’re new creatures:
I. NEW IN INNOCENCE
A. IS INNOCENCE POSSIBLE?
1. DEFINITION: 1 a : freedom from guilt or sin through being unacquainted with evil : blamelessness b : chastity c : freedom from legal guilt of a particular crime or offense d (1) : freedom from guile or cunning : simplicity (2) : lack of worldly experience or sophistication [Merriam-Webster].
2. Despite us having lived ungodly lives prior to our salvation, we can get our innocence back after getting saved. In fact, getting your innocence back is one of the marks of a Child of God! Listen to what Jesus says:
3. “And he said: ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’” Matt. 18:3. Two key factors about children are their innocence and their trust. How is renewed innocence possible? Because the old sinful self died with Christ and the New Creation being has never sinned! Gal. 2:20.
4. 2 Cor. 5:17; “Therefore if any man (person) be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
5. God says He’ll give us a new heart (Eze. 36:26) and a new spirit (Eze. 11:19), make us a new creature (2 Cor.5:17) with a new name (Isa. 62:2; Rev. 2:17), and put a new song ((Ps. 40:3) and a new tongue in our mouths (Mk. 16:17). Then He’ll help us walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:14) by a new commandment (Jn. 13:34) into the new heavens and new earth (2 Pet. 3:3) where we’ll get to enter His holy city New Jerusalem (Rev. 3:12). That’s a lot of new!
B. TWO KEY STAGES
1. FORGIVENESS & CLEANSING. The blood of Jesus is said to be “innocent blood” Mt. 27:4. His blood justifies us (Rom. 5:9), redeems us (Eph. 1:7), brings us near (Eph. 2:13), makes peace with God (Col. 1:20), cleanses our consciences (Heb. 9:14), sanctifies us (Heb. 13:12), cleanses us from all sin (1 Jn. 1:7), & washes us (Rev. 1:5).
2. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 Jn. 1:7-9.
3. How can we have our innocence back? Because God will make us like a newborn babies! (1 Pet. 2:2; Lk. 10:21). Those newly born in Christ are called “babes in Christ” (1 Cor. 3:1).
4. When the Bible says I’m “justified” it means I/you are “just as lf I’d never sinned at all!” God blots out our sins, and remembers them no more!
5. After you’ve repented and been forgiven, if you asked God about your former sins, He would say, “I can’t remember any sins you ever committed!”
6. God took all your sins and put them on Jesus! “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him” 1 Cor. 5:21.
II. NEW IN THINKING
A. ATTITUDE FROM HEAVEN’S PERSPECTIVE
1. “Be made new in the attitude of your minds” Eph. 4:23.
2. Because you’ve been saved and empowered by the Holy Spirit, you have been transformed from a nobody to a somebody. You’ve been bought with a price -- the precious blood of Jesus; the old you has passed away, and behold, you’re a new creation, one of God’s champions!