Summary: Paul’s one consuming desire was to magnify Christ in his life. As believers, we should strife for the same.
INTRO: Paul’s one consuming desire was to have Christ enlarged, even if his own body and life was entirely lost sight of. Paul was continually seeking to get self out of the way, and magnify Christ. After all, this is the only way we have in this life of MAKING CHRIST LARGE, through our bodies.
I. THE NEED FOR SUCH MAGNIFYING IS:
A. Seen in the world’s being so far away from Him and His teachings.
1. Look at the empty Churches all around.
2. Look at the way the government officials behave.
B. Recalled in His worthiness of being so magnified to the world.
1. Look at the price he paid.
2. The only way to salvation.
C. Beneficial to the “magnifiers” themselves. He becomes more real to us when we magnify Him.
If there is a need for magnifying Christ, there are also some requirements.
II. THE REQUISITES FOR US MAGNIFYING CHRIST.
A. Purity of life.
1. Camera lens must be pure to give a good image. If the quality of the lens is bad, the picture will be blurred.
2. Our lives must be pure to magnify Christ correctly.
3. You use a special cloth to clean a camera lens. Our lives require the special cleaning that comes from prayer and Bible study.
B. Fashioning our lives with him as a model.
1. When the craftsman grinds the camera lens extreme care is taken. There can be no defects in the glass.
2. Christ is our example.
C. Polishing of our lives may be through hardship or by chastisement.
D. Staying in proper focus with the world and to Christ.
1. If you don’t have a good focus with the camera, unclear pictures result.
2. The life of the Christian must be in focus.
There is a third thing.
III. THE METHODS BY WHICH WE MAGNIFY.
A. Take Him as an example for living.
B. Follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
1. As we submit to Him, He will guide us.
2. As long as we insist on our way, He is helpless to help us.
C. Center our attention on Christ rather than ourselves.
1. Too many times we let self get in the way, and others can’t see Christ for us.
2. We must feed our ego.
CONC: We are to be only the media for Christ as he communicates with the world.