Summary: Super Bowl is a major event so is the transfiguration it happens in a place, there is a particular that changes things, there the presence of millions and in the lesson the presence of many, and there are also the privileged to be there at the major event
“Major Event” Luke 9:28-36
1. During any major event there always a Place. The Super Bowl at Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, CA
• This passage opens with the mention of a place it’s a mountain. , he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain.
• We are not told what mountain it is, but most scholars believe that it is Mount Hermon.
• It was on a mountain called Moriah that God manifested His grace to Abraham when he willingly offered up his son Isaac, Gen. 22.
• It was on Mount Sinai that God handed down His Law to Moses, Ex. 19.
• It was on Mount Horeb that God ministered peace to the troubled heart of Elijah, 1 Kings 19.
• It was on Mount Calvary that Jesus died for our sins on the cross, John 19.
• It was from the Mount of Olives that Jesus ascended back into His heavenly glory, Acts 1:9-
• It will be that same mountain that will greet His feet when He returns in glory, Zech. 14:4.
• Where was your mountain top or moment with God? The mountains help us get through the valleys of trial, struggles, doubts. Where is the Place you encountered God?
2. During this major event there are always a Particular that changes things. In the super bowl it may be a call, a play, a reaction, In the lesson the Particular that changes things is Prayer
• he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 29As he was praying,
• Jesus prayed at critical moments in his Life a) his baptism (Luke 3:21), (b) the choice of the apostles (6:12-13, (e) before the cross in Gethsemane (22:39-40), and (f) on the cross (23:46). (2)
• Jesus prayed at his miracles: (a) healing the multitudes (1:35), (b) before feeding the 5,000 (6:41), (c) healing a deaf-mute (7:34), and (d) raising Lazarus from death (John 11:41). (4)
• Jesus Prayed for others: (a) for the Eleven (17:6-19), (b) for the whole church (17:20-26), (c) for those who nailed him to the cross (Luke 23:34), and (d) for Peter (22:32).
• Prayer is a Particular(a specific, certain, precise) thing that can change things( 29As he was praying) ( “while I was praying somebody touched me must have been the hand of the Lord”)
3. During any major event there is always a Presence lot of faces present watching can you imagine the attendance those at Super Bowl, those watching millions? Well there is some presence going on during the transfiguration. Old song (“Surely the presence of the Lord was in this place”)
• There was the presence of Peter James and John , he took Peter, John and James with him
• There was the Presence of . 30Two men, Moses and Elijah, 31appeared in glorious splendor,
• There was the presence of Change 29As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. Today there is a presence that wants to change us.
4. During any Major event there is the Privileged those who get to encounter it experience it. Those that go to Super Bowls are privileged to have money to go.
• At the Transfiguration there is the Privileged, Peter, James, and John they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. . 30They saw Two men, Moses and Elijah, 31which appeared in glorious splendor
• Peter James and John so privileged." 6(He did not know what to say, they were so frightened
• They were Privileged to hear "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!"
5. Finally, Today could be can be major event for your life It can happen in this Place, We can encounter a Particular like prayer to transform us, There’s a Presence, and there’s the Privileged
• Peter James and John Privileged but their Privilege becomes and Obligation to serve
• Peters Privileged came at a great cost Jesus said, when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go. James would be the first to face martyrdom, John cast on an island
• At my own Ordination what a privilege, but soon this privilege becomes an obligation
Bishop Light said, “Pour out your Holy Spirit upon Gerald Send him now to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. to announce the reign of God, and to equip the church for ministry, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. Driving home from annual conference these words became and obligation it dawns on me my call to proclaim the Good News.