Summary: There is a problem when God’s people invest their time, talent, and energy in temporal things that will not make any difference. Invest wisely in the eternal.
MAKE A BUCK VS. MAKE A DIFFERENCE? IN MY OWN EYES?
By Wade Martin Hughes, Sr. Kyfingers@aol.com
Luke 12:15 And Jesus said unto them, TAKE HEED, and BEWARE OF COVETOUSNESS: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of THE THINGS which he possesseth.
16. And Jesus spoke a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully.
17. And he thought (WITHIN HIMSELF), saying This will (I) do, because (I) have no room where to bestow (MY) fruits?
18. And he said, This will (I) do: I will pull down my barns, and (I) will build greater; and there will (I) bestow all (MY) fruits and (MY) goods.
19. And (I) will say to (MY) soul, Soul, (THOU) hast much goods laid up for many years; take (THINE) ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
1. IN YOUR OWN EYES? YOU ARE A PRODUCT OF YOUR CHOICES!
A. The book of Judges ends on a very sad note.
Judges 21:25 In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was RIGHT IN
HIS OWN EYES.
B. SELF JUSTIFICATION HAS A GREAT ABILITY TO HIDE REALITY.
The person driving under the influence says everybody else does this?
A bank robber justifies his action. This will not hurt any one, there is insurance to cover this?
The person committing adultery blames their cold hearted spouse?
C. The church is made up of people, saints? Well, not in man’s eyes?
David is known to us as a MAN AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART, but to those that walked daily with David,
they saw his behavior when it was less than Christian like?
The church is not a gathering of performing perfection.
Are we using people to build the church or are we using the church to build people?
D. People can be very smart? But the same smart person can show their humanness and say or do something less than what you may expect? The bottom line is: People make the difference.
E. You are a sum total of your daily choices. You see choices are what make people different.
F. When people can’t see what a difference their choices make, the difference they make is small.
When others can see their little choices can make a difference, a difference is made.
G. So the difference can be established by choosing to do the small things with great joy and enthusiasm.
H. See there is value in little things, give a big smile, a personal touch, or a hug and see you are the one that makes the difference for others. It is not the church that makes a difference, it is people.
I. Talk about choices? How about the attitude of going the second mile with joy? Walk the mile for Jesus!
Then it is easier to walk the second mile. What gift are you giving?
J. For your choices are what make the difference.
You must realize: If a difference is made, it is up to me!
The church doesn’t make the difference, it is the choices and the people.
2. IT IS OF THE WORLD? EARTHLY VISION? INVESTING IN THE WORLD?
A. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the THINGS that are in the world. If any man love the world, the
love of the Father is not in him.
16. For all that is in the world, THE LUST OF THE FLESH, and the LUST OF THE EYES, and the PRIDE OF LIFE is not of the Father, but is of the world.