Summary: Mark 10: 35=45 Making a Difference by being a bold disciple of Christ; You are not NoBody!
Making A Differerence Mark10:35-45
Credit Jeff Strite for many ideas
Merv Griffin Show body builder. “Why do you develop those muscles?”
Body builder flexed muscles from Chest 2 Calf The audience applauded.
“What do you use all those muscles for?” Merv persisted. Body-builder bewildered. APPLY: The Value Of Our Christianity. In Other Words: What Are We Good For?
• THEME: HOW do I make a difference? How do I use the muscles (read: talents) Disciples wanted 2BIMPORTANT,VALUABLE ` but they MISUNDERSTOOD
• 1. They Felt That Making A Difference/ Being Valuable To Christ Was All About WHO They Were
• If only they could be important.
• If only they could have a position of power.
• If only they could be specially talented… THEN THEY COULD BE USEFUL TO GOD.
• Jesus taught them: It Isn’t Who You Are, Or How Powerful You Are… It’s How Open You Are To Servanthood.
• IN FACT, God Deliberately Doesn’t Choose The Powerful To Do His Will.
ILLUS: UNFLATTERING LIST
• Moses Stuttered.
• David’s Armor Didn’t Fit.
• Hosea’s Wife Was A Prostitute.
• Jacob Was A Liar.
• David Had An Affair.
• Solomon Was Too Rich.
• Abraham Was Too Old.
• David Was Too Young.
• Timothy Had Ulcers.
• Peter Was Afraid Of Death.
• Lazarus Was Dead.
• John Was Self-Righteous.
• Jesus Was Too Poor.
• Naomi Was A Widow.
• John Mark - Rejected By Paul
• Paul Was A Murderer. / So Was Moses.
• Jonah Ran From God.
• Miriam Was A Gossip & Bigot
• Gideon And Thomas Both Doubted.
• Jeremiah Was Depressed And Suicidal.
• Elijah Was Burned Out.
• Martha Was A Worrywart.
• Noah Got Drunk.
• Moses Had A Short Fuse? So Did Peter, Paul… And, Well, & Lots Of Folks."
• I Corinthians 1:27-29 "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
• He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that No-One May Boast before him."
• 2. AS FAR GOD IS CONCERNED, BEING HIS SERVANT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING SUPERSTAR
• And so, when Jesus chose His disciples - they were not pick of the litter, the cream of crop. They were simply men He knew could be used to establish His kingdom.
• BUT THE PROBLEM FOR THEM was they didn’t think Jesus would want them as simple fishermen and laborers. They thought He would want men in positions of power and prominence.
• 3WHAT type ofPEOPLE DOES JESUS WANT? PEOPLE HE CAN COUNT ON TO “BE THERE”
• ILLUS: JOHN BRODIE, former quarterback San Francisco 49ers, Hold Ball For Kicker.
Sports Reporter asked WHY a Million-dollar player like him should Hold Ball for field goals & extra points after the touchdown.
• "Well, If I Didn’t, It Would Fall Over."