Summary: Mark 10: 35=45 Making a Difference by being a bold disciple of Christ; You are not NoBody!
Making A Differerence Mark10:35-45
Credit Jeff Strite for many ideas
Merv Griffin Show body builder. “Why do you develop those muscles?”
Body builder flexed muscles from Chest 2 Calf The audience applauded.
“What do you use all those muscles for?” Merv persisted. Body-builder bewildered. APPLY: The Value Of Our Christianity. In Other Words: What Are We Good For?
• THEME: HOW do I make a difference? How do I use the muscles (read: talents) Disciples wanted 2BIMPORTANT,VALUABLE ` but they MISUNDERSTOOD
• 1. They Felt That Making A Difference/ Being Valuable To Christ Was All About WHO They Were
• If only they could be important.
• If only they could have a position of power.
• If only they could be specially talented… THEN THEY COULD BE USEFUL TO GOD.
• Jesus taught them: It Isn’t Who You Are, Or How Powerful You Are… It’s How Open You Are To Servanthood.
• IN FACT, God Deliberately Doesn’t Choose The Powerful To Do His Will.
ILLUS: UNFLATTERING LIST
• Moses Stuttered.
• David’s Armor Didn’t Fit.
• Hosea’s Wife Was A Prostitute.
• Jacob Was A Liar.
• David Had An Affair.
• Solomon Was Too Rich.
• Abraham Was Too Old.
• David Was Too Young.
• Timothy Had Ulcers.
• Peter Was Afraid Of Death.
• Lazarus Was Dead.
• John Was Self-Righteous.
• Jesus Was Too Poor.
• Naomi Was A Widow.
• John Mark - Rejected By Paul
• Paul Was A Murderer. / So Was Moses.
• Jonah Ran From God.
• Miriam Was A Gossip & Bigot
• Gideon And Thomas Both Doubted.
• Jeremiah Was Depressed And Suicidal.
• Elijah Was Burned Out.
• Martha Was A Worrywart.
• Noah Got Drunk.
• Moses Had A Short Fuse? So Did Peter, Paul… And, Well, & Lots Of Folks."
• I Corinthians 1:27-29 "God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
• He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that No-One May Boast before him."
• 2. AS FAR GOD IS CONCERNED, BEING HIS SERVANT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING SUPERSTAR
• And so, when Jesus chose His disciples - they were not pick of the litter, the cream of crop. They were simply men He knew could be used to establish His kingdom.
• BUT THE PROBLEM FOR THEM was they didn’t think Jesus would want them as simple fishermen and laborers. They thought He would want men in positions of power and prominence.
• 3WHAT type ofPEOPLE DOES JESUS WANT? PEOPLE HE CAN COUNT ON TO “BE THERE”
• ILLUS: JOHN BRODIE, former quarterback San Francisco 49ers, Hold Ball For Kicker.
Sports Reporter asked WHY a Million-dollar player like him should Hold Ball for field goals & extra points after the touchdown.
• "Well, If I Didn’t, It Would Fall Over."
• Brodie understood that his value to the team was BEING THERE for the team.
• “Doing What Needed To Be Done, So Team Could Succeed..” That’s The Type Of Person Jesus Is Looking For.
• 4.HOW DO WE “HOLD THE BALL” 4 JESUS
• Mark 10:42-44 tells us it is by learning to become a servant for others. THAT’S THE IDEA BEHIND THE MINISTRY SHEET (review).
Best way to make ministries work for you is if you look at them as meaning something valuable to God’s Kingdom. For example:
1. Cleaning the building is a form of outreach. People who come through the door notice how well you take care of God’s things. It says your faith is dynamic enough that you care even for the simplest of issues.
2. Work in the Nursery - Changing diapers on new couple’s kids isn’t just about changing diapers. It’s potentially changing eternity for his entire family.
3. A simple thing like regular attendance: Do you realize that when “unchurched Sally” comes into this building and sees it packed with worshippers, that that says something to her?
It says: “Something significant is happening here.”
It says: “Christianity must mean something to these people.”
4. AND WHEN you take the time to get to know people’s names, to introduce yourself to newcomers, to invite them out to eat with you, you continue to add to the atmosphere that has drawn so many to belong here. New members have said things like: "The people are so friendly." "I really felt at home." "I felt welcome.”
5. Now let’s take the idea of servanthood beyond the ministry sheet you have in your hands.
There are other ministries outside our church walls that you can do.
• ILLUS: I read one story of a man who approached a 9 yr. old boy named Howard playing “marbles” on the sidewalk. The man challenged the boy to a game and promptly beat him. Then he offered to teach Howard how to play the game better and thus built a relationship with him that led to bringing the boy becoming involved in that man’s Sunday School class.