Summary: A look into the life of Barnabas to understand the secerete of his oustanding suceess in his service for the kingdom of God.
MAKING IMPACT IN GOD’S KINGDOM.
STUDY TEXT: Act 11:22-30
22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea:
30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
Certain qualities were seen in the life of Barnabas, that made him to have a great impact in the kingdom of God. These qualities must be delligently pursued by any one who want to make a noticeable and acceptable impact in God’s kingdom.
The following qualities were observed in Barnabas:
1. When the church needed to send somebody, he was found as a reliable and trustworthy person.
2. A man that will rejoice in great things done by others.
3. A man who is close to God and desire others to come closer to him.
4. A man whose ministry expanded the kingdom of God.
5. A man with great interest in a new convert, and will labour to develop them.
6. A faithful man in church meeting and activities.
7. A man of great integrity, trusted with even financial and material things.
These qualities were seen and made possible in Barnabas because:
1. HE WAS A GOOD MAN.
- There are two ways of looking at a good man.
1. Character: A man can be said to be good if he is well behaved. A good man is a man of good character, a honest and reliable person with good interpersonal relationships.
2. Skill: A man can be said to be good if he is skilled and put excellence to what he does.
- Your greatest impact is not in what you teach or say, but in who you are.
- Your greatest weapon of impact is your lifestyle or your character.
- Our lives preach louder than our sermons.
- Both character and charisma are needed, but the foundation is character.
- Living by the truth, honesty, integrity and transparency. 1 Peter 1:15-16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
- We need to daily humble ourselves in fervent prayer to be sanctified, refined and purified.
- We should not be enticed by inordinate desire for success: fame, money, large congregation, that we care nothing about our true condition.