Summary: The 4 Gospels were written by 4 different men with 4 different slants. Each of the 4 emphasize an aspect of Jesus personality, the well-rounded God-man, the Savior of all mankind.
Mark Among the Gospels
1. Topher and Fire and Flood. The youth group is amazing. All of you who help stand. Who participate.
2. One goal of our youth ministry is to develop the faith and service of our youth. It’s about Jesus.
3. If you read the four gospels in order, you will probably notice a lot of repetition. You will also notice some differences. It is important to remember that the Gospel accounts are not like modern biographies, but are SUMMARIES. Each writer includes or excludes different details or summarizes more or less broadly. Thus Matthew summarizes the healing of the centurion’s servant by telling ask that the centurion asked Jesus to heal him (Matthew 8:5-13 (quickview) ), while Luke, giving us more detail, tells us the centurion asked Jesus through the agency of those he sent (not directly face to face) in Luke 7:1-10 (quickview) . Was Matthew in error? No. He was summarizing more broadly than Luke and did not want to go into as much detail.
4. The Holy Spirit inspired the authors of the Gospels, but how were they composed?
5. Mark is the briefest and most succinct of the Gospels, but it helps to see where his Gospel falls in comparison to the others. Matthew, Mark, and Luke lots of overlap (synoptic).
Main Thought: The 4 Gospels were written by 4 different men with 4 different slants. Each of the 4 emphasize an aspect of Jesus personality, the well-rounded God-man, the Savior of all mankind.
I. Matthew: Jesus the THINKER: He Taught Like the Messiah and Fulfilled Messianic Prophecy
A. The most ORDERLY Gospel
1. Christ is presented as having a well thought-out plan
(1) Matt. 20:28—Why He came
(2) Matt. 10:5-6—Initial offer of Kingdom to Israel only
(3) Matt. 16:18—I will build my Church
2. Engineers and detail-type persons usually prefer Matthew
3. May have originally been written in Hebrew and translated into Greek
B. Unique Material: 30%
• The Magi
• The longest version of the Sermon on the Mount
• The Olivet Discourse
C. Written by Matthew (Levi) for a JEWISH audience
Application: Matthew appeals to mankind’s logical side. Some people respond better to logic than others. Those driven by logic are generally puzzled by mankind because they cannot accept that logic is only one driver. But it is an important one. It is important to logically present Jesus.
II. Mark: Jesus the Man of ACTION; His Works Prove He is the Messiah
A. The BRIEFEST Gospel
1. No account of his birth
2. Many think Mark is earliest, maybe? (Matthew/Mark in the 50’s)
3. It appeals to people who like to get to the point (achievers)
4. More about what Jesus did, less what he said
5. The word sometimes translated, “immediately” is used 42 times
B. About 8% unique
C. John MARK: not an Apostle by a young disciple