Summary: Wives must be submissive to their husbands and husbands must be considerate and respectful to their wives. How do YOU measure up with these two statements? Peter continues in his letter to encourage us to live honorably in our homes with each other.
1 Peter Sermon Series, Part 7
- Last week we talked about our testimony and how important it is in several ways:
• With those around us
• With those in authority
• With those we work for
• When suffering unjustly
- Why is our testimony so important?
-- v21, “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.”
-- We are called to remember what Christ went through and willingly follow!
- Now, why is all of this important? Read v22-25
- Jesus is the ONLY one who is totally sinless
-- Isaiah 53:9, “He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.”
-- There was no deceit, no lie, no sin that was committed by the Messiah
-- He was literally the perfect sacrifice of God; suitable for our redemption
- When they hurled insults: didn’t retaliate; when he suffered: made no threats
-- What He did do: Submit Himself to the One that He served; righteous Judge
-- The one who judges justly; who divides truth from a lie for His honor
-- He gave Himself on the cross so that we might die to our sin and live righteous
- Now, how should we apply this to our dealings with one another?
-- Actually, how should we apply this to our most intimate relationship?
-- OK, so let’s set this off right … repeat after me: “I love, Brother TJ.”
- Read 1 Peter 3:1-7
∆ Point 1 – Wives
- Peter, being a disciple of hope, has a heart for those who need Christ
-- He understands how he was once lost and needed a savior, so his heart is there
-- APP: It really is where our hearts ought to be as well, love for one another
- Peter starts out (v1) showing that we ought to live always to honor God
-- His encouragement to women is with a very simple, yet sad fact we see today
-- More wives know Christ, or at least live for Him, than husbands do
- This submission has nothing to do with any kind of authority or rule over
-- It is the VERY misguided person who things this word means she is a “slave”
-- APP: It is also a very misguided and false religion who claims this as well
- Peter’s app. is that husband’s might be won to Christ b/c of wives behavior
-- IMP: See what Peter did right there? It is STILL about Christ!
- Wives, submit to your husbands as the Lord directs you to do
-- Ephesians 5:22, “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.”
-- Submit because it is His will that you live a proper life … even at home
- 1 Peter 2:12 gives us a very similar insight about living with unbelievers: “Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”
-- APP: As Christian wives live as they should, God is glorified as well
-- It all relates to living properly (see 1 Peter 2:19) … even in tough situations