Summary: Mary of Bethany
A. INTRODUCTION: WORSHIPED AT JESUS’ FEET
1. Mary was sister to Martha, and Lazarus and was called Mary of Bethany. “A man named Lazarus was sick. He lived in Bethany with his sisters, Mary and Martha.”
2. Home belonged to Martha, the youngest. “A woman named Martha welcomed Jesus into her home” (Luke 10:38, NLT). Mary the oldest, name appeared first. Martha was a widow.
3. Bethany a suburb of Jerusalem, Jesus stayed in their home.
B. FAITH SEEKS JESUS’ PRESENCE
1. Where is Mary located? “Her sister Mary sat at the Lord’s feet” (Luke 10:39, NLT). “When Mary arrived and saw Jesus, she fell at His feet” (John 11:32, NLT). “Mary took a twelve ounce jar of expensive perfume . . . anointed Jesus’ feet” (John 12:3, NLT).
2. She wanted to get close, so she sat at Jesus’ feet.
3. Where is the best place to worship?
C. FAITH ALWAYS PRIORITIZES ITS OPTIONS
1. Shifts blame. “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died” (John 11:32, NLT).
2. Jesus said at anointing. “Leave her alone. She did this in preparation for My burial” (John 12:7, NLT).
D. FAITH MUST CHOOSE JESUS FIRST
1. Martha chose her spiritual gift of hospitality. Mary chose to worship.
2. Martha, “Tell her to come help me” (Luke 10:46, NLT).
E. FAITH LISTENS TO THE LORD JESUS
1. What was important to Mary? “She listened to what He taught” (Luke 10:39, NLT).
2. At Lazarus’ grave, Martha told Mary, “The Teacher is here and wants to see you” (John 11:28, NLT).
F. FAITH BRINGS QUESTIONS TO JESUS
1. Mary fell at His feet. “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died” (John 11:32, NLT).
2. Personality: shy and retiring.
G. FAITH GRATEFULLY WORSHIPS
1. Gratitude is least remembered of all virtues, but is foundational to worship.
2. Expensive oil and large quality (1 pound).
3. At Jesus’ feet you must bow lowly.
H. FAITH’S REWARDS
1. At first meeting. “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:41-42, NLT).
2. At feast during final week. “Leave her alone. She did this in preparation for my burial” (John 12:7, NLT).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.