Summary: Mary the Mother of Jesus (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: Luke chapter 1 verses 26-56.
• When NASA first started sending up astronauts,
• They quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in 0 gravity.
• To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade;
• And $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity,
• The pen also wrote upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass;
• And at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.
• The Russians simply used a pencil.
• Quote: ‘Common sense is just not so common!’
Many Christians do not show too much common sense when it comes to Mary the mother of Jesus:
• It seems to me that Christians have always gone to extremes regarding Mary;
• Those who almost worship her, they have an over-emphasis on Mary.
• And those who almost ignore her! They have an under-emphasis on Mary.
(1). An over emphasises.
• This is especially true in the Roman Catholic Church;
• Now I’m not on a Catholic bash this morning – but on this topic they are completely wrong!
• The R.C. Church have a number of beliefs about Mary,
• Which I believe are wrong; they are an over-emphasis because they go beyond this book!
• These beliefs exalt Mary to a place and position;
• That the Bible just does not give her.
• And as a result, they cause us protestants;
• To react by going to the other extreme and almost neglecting her.
Mistake No 1: Mary as Mediatrix:
• This teaching asserts that Mary mediates the salvation that Jesus Christ won on the cross.
• It teaches that none of God’s graces come to us except through Mary.
• People who hold this view teach;
• That without Mary’s submission in the plan of God, there would have been no Jesus;
• No Jesus of course equals no salvation,
• So they would say; Mary is an essential player in the plan of salvation!
• So from this teaching comes the wrong doctrine;
• That asserts that Mary mediates the salvation that Jesus Christ won on the cross.
• This is a classic case of 2+2=5, Human logic and not biblical theology.
• It is not what the Bible teaches at all!
• The New Testament makes it quite clear (e.g. First Timothy chapter 2 verse 5).
• There is only ‘ONE mediator, between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus’
• He alone is the only one qualified;
• He alone the Bible teaches is our middleman, our umpire, our link with God the Father!
Mistake No 2: Mary as a perpetual virgin:
• Perpetual virgin simply means; Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus;
• And remained a virgin throughout her life.
• This teaching holds the view that;
• Mary never had sexual relations with Joseph after Jesus was born;
• And therefore she never had any more children.
• And so she remained a virgin perpetually (always).
Note: Yet once again if you examine the New Testament;
• It is quite clear that although Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.
• She did not remain a perpetual virgin afterward the birth of Jesus.
• The Bible clearly shows us that Jesus had brothers and sisters.
• (Luke chapter 8 verse 19; Mark chapter 3 verse 31).
• In fact one verse Matthew chapter 13 verse 55:
• Gives to us the four names of Jesus’ brothers ‘James, Joseph, Simon and Judas’
• The verse also uses the word sisters (plural), implying more than one!
• Mary may well have had at least six, maybe more children after Jesus was born.
• The fact that Jesus is called Mary’s ‘firstborn son’ (Luke chapter 2 verse 7);
• Would again suggest she had more children!
Mistake No 3: Mary and her Immaculate conception:
• This teaching is that Mary had no sin like other human beings.
• The logic being
• That in order to give birth to Jesus, who was perfect,
• In some way she had to be perfect herself.
• Unfortunately the same logic is not applied to the mother of Mary also needing to be perfect!
• i.e. Her mother etc etc etc.
• Once again the New Testament makes it very clear that this teaching is wrong;
• Romans chapter 3 verse 23; “For ALL have sinned”,
• The Bible clearly teaches that only three people have ever been without sin on planet earth;
• Two were created sinless Adam & Eve & One was born sinless Jesus Christ.
Mistake No 4: Mary and her Assumption:
• This teaching (declared 1950 by the R.C. Church) says;
• That Mary did not die like other people, but was taken directly into heaven.