Summary: Mary the Mother of Jesus (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: Luke chapter 1 verses 26-56.
• When NASA first started sending up astronauts,
• They quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in 0 gravity.
• To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade;
• And $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity,
• The pen also wrote upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass;
• And at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.
• The Russians simply used a pencil.
• Quote: ‘Common sense is just not so common!’
Many Christians do not show too much common sense when it comes to Mary the mother of Jesus:
• It seems to me that Christians have always gone to extremes regarding Mary;
• Those who almost worship her, they have an over-emphasis on Mary.
• And those who almost ignore her! They have an under-emphasis on Mary.
(1). An over emphasises.
• This is especially true in the Roman Catholic Church;
• Now I’m not on a Catholic bash this morning – but on this topic they are completely wrong!
• The R.C. Church have a number of beliefs about Mary,
• Which I believe are wrong; they are an over-emphasis because they go beyond this book!
• These beliefs exalt Mary to a place and position;
• That the Bible just does not give her.
• And as a result, they cause us protestants;
• To react by going to the other extreme and almost neglecting her.
Mistake No 1: Mary as Mediatrix:
• This teaching asserts that Mary mediates the salvation that Jesus Christ won on the cross.
• It teaches that none of God’s graces come to us except through Mary.
• People who hold this view teach;
• That without Mary’s submission in the plan of God, there would have been no Jesus;
• No Jesus of course equals no salvation,
• So they would say; Mary is an essential player in the plan of salvation!
• So from this teaching comes the wrong doctrine;
• That asserts that Mary mediates the salvation that Jesus Christ won on the cross.
• This is a classic case of 2+2=5, Human logic and not biblical theology.
• It is not what the Bible teaches at all!
• The New Testament makes it quite clear (e.g. First Timothy chapter 2 verse 5).
• There is only ‘ONE mediator, between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus’
• He alone is the only one qualified;
• He alone the Bible teaches is our middleman, our umpire, our link with God the Father!
Mistake No 2: Mary as a perpetual virgin:
• Perpetual virgin simply means; Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus;
• And remained a virgin throughout her life.
• This teaching holds the view that;
• Mary never had sexual relations with Joseph after Jesus was born;
• And therefore she never had any more children.
• And so she remained a virgin perpetually (always).
Note: Yet once again if you examine the New Testament;