Summary: Doggie Bag, Anyone?
1. Intro / background (v 21-22)
A. Tyre & Sidon, Syria & Phoenicia
B. The woman from the region of Canaan
2. Christ did not answer her a word. Sometimes God answers our prayers with a yes, no, wait or silence (v 23)
3. The disciples tried to calm down the situation.
4. "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
A. Israel first, then the Gentiles (v 24)
B. The homogeneity principle of world evangelism (Dr. C. Peter Wagner, Spreading The Fire, Regal Books, Ventura, CA 1994) Churches may grow if they have similar kind of people.
5. She bowed down and worshiped. When we worship, Christ may change His mind. She shouted - she wanted it! (v25)
6. "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." Christ wasn't always nice. (v 26)
7. She was desperate for God - are we? (v27)
8. Christ rewarded her faith by healing her demon-possessed (diamonizomai) daughter (v 28)
9. Matthew 8: 10 is the other instance of great faith in this book: The Centurion, a military leader.
10. Application / review / conclusion - We need to have great faith, evangelize the world, worship, be desperate for God, and pray for leaders of great faith in the military.