Summary: An examination of Matthew’s calling to be a disciple; which also applies to our calling to serve Christ faithfully!
Matthew is called … and so are YOU!
Matthew was called because Jesus went to find Him
Point 1 – Matthew’s Response (v9)
- Jesus saw, but he could only see if he went out to find someone
- We must get out and “do the stuff”
- There is no delay – delaying keeps people from heaven
- Matthew was called; once; and then he moved
- Is Jesus calling today? Absolutely!!
- Will we move? Will we bothered to get up and go?
- Matthew got up and followed; also see Matthew 4:19
Point 2 – Jesus seeks out sinners (v10-11)
- He fellowshipped, loved, and worshipped with them
- Are sinners welcomed in our church?
- How about in your own house?
- The world / religious scenario of this world do not understand
- WHY would Jesus eat with sinners?
- The religious of the time sought to bring confusion to the disciples
-- They cast doubt about Jesus’ to His closest followers
-- The world does the same today to us!
- Because they (WE) needed Him – desperately!
Point 3 – Righteous are not who Jesus is looking for (v12-13)
- Feel good? We don’t need a doctor when we are not sick; the lost ARE sick!
- GO AND LEARN; STUDY AND SHOW YOURSELF APPROVED
- Jesus comes to show us mercy because we desperately need it
- Righteous are not called; the religious are not called
- The puffed up/prideful are not called
- Romans 3:10 … “there are NONE who are righteous”!
Every eye closed and every head bowed
Invitation for salvation and repentance; it’s the only way to Heaven