Summary: Light is of no use if it is not prominently displayed. This message examines our stewardship of the Light we have been given.
Meant to be Used
Mark 4:21 (HCSB)
He also said to them, “Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket or under a bed? Isn’t it to be put on a lampstand?”
Concealing the Light
* The light burns, but is hidden from view
* Of benefit to no one else
* What is concealing your light?
* To illuminate
* Removing darkness
* Revealing structure and layout
* Correct usage
* Placement on a lamp stand
* Maximum illumination
* Wide area of broadcast
Mark 4:22 (HCSB)
For nothing is concealed except to be revealed, and nothing hidden except to come to light.
* The cloak of darkness
* Created by the absence of light
* Cannot withstand light
* Gives up its secrets in the presence of light
* The power of light
* Pushes back darkness
* Reveals that which was unseen
* A temporary hiding place
* Ultimately illuminated by Christ
Revelation 20:12-13 (HCSB)
I also saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life, and the dead were judged according to their works by what was written in the books.
Then the sea gave up its dead, and Death and Hades gave up their dead; all were judged according to their works.
Mark 4:23-24 (HCSB)
If anyone has ears to hear, he should listen! Then He said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear. By the measure you use, it will be measured and added to you.
* Beyond mere hearing
* Taken to heart
* Locked away for further consideration
* Counted as knowledge
* Does not increase stature
* Putting knowledge to work
* Allowing what is heard to guide the actions
James 1:22-25 (HCSB)
But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Because if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his own face in a mirror; for he looks at himself, goes away, and right away forgets what kind of man he was. But the one who looks intently into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer who acts-this person will be blessed in what he does.
Quote - "Knowledge that is not applied will only inform you…Knowledge that is applied will transform you"
Mark 4:25 (HCSB)
For to the one who has, it will be given, and from the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away.
The Principle of Usage
* The one who applies
* Demonstrates faithful stewardship
* Consistent obedience
* Receives even more
* Proven faithful
* The one who does not apply
* Demonstrates poor stewardship
* No application
* Loses the value of what has been received
* Proven foolish
* Receives no more
The Light was mean to be shared
* Is your light hidden?
* Is your light prominently displayed
* Are you applying that which you have received?
* With whom are you sharing your Light?
**Powerpoint available on request