Summary: Memorial Day is simply put, about remembering – memorializing those individuals, men and women who have given their lives in the service of this country. Memorials without regular attention fall into oblivion. They become forgotten in memory and overgro
MEMORIAL DAY 2007
MEMORIAL DAY ALLOWANCE
INTRODUCTION: Memorial Day is simply put, about remembering – memorializing those individuals, men and women who have given their lives in the service of this country. Memorials without regular attention fall into oblivion. They become forgotten in memory and overgrown in reality.
But the memorial which is not forgotten allows us many benefits. Memorials are an opportunity to remember our past, learn from our history, process our grief and contemplate our future.
So, this morning, I would like to spend a few moments thinking about what Memorial Day allows us to do.
I. MEMORIAL DAY ALLOWS US TO REMEMBER WITHOUT WORDS – ROMANS 8:26-27
A. We are not left to our own resources
1. Memorials are all about the impact that others have made on our way of life
2. They have given so that we have what we have today – freedom, liberty, and relative safety.
B. God has provided His Spirit as a resource
1. We need the resource of the Spirit because we are weak.
a) The word means always weak
(1) The word means someone helping another carry a heavy load
(2) Our heavy load is knowing what we should pray, but not being able to pray it
b) Not just weak sometimes
2. The Spirit of God helps us by the fact that He
a) Keeps on helping
b) Helps in our weakness
(1) Physical weakness
(2) Emotional weakness
(3) Spiritual weakness
3. The Spirit of God “intercedes for us
a) Means He approaches God for us
b) Means He appeals to God for us
4. Perceives our needs – knows by intuition
Memorials are monuments that stand before us when we cannot express in words everything that we want or need to say. The Holy Spirit is the believer’s memorial. He stands in our place communicating our feelings to God the Father.
II. MEMORIAL DAY ALLOWS US TO SEE THE FUTURE – ROMANS 8:28-30
A. The efforts of the Holy Spirit in our lives are in full agreement with God the Father
B. The things we go through may not be good themselves, but God harmonizes them for good.
1. Good is God’s Ultimate good
2. God’s goal is perfection
C. God is working towards our ultimate good
1. God is in constant activity for us
2. God is always at work in those who love Him
D. Our future is related to God’s calling
1. Calling means to summon and give salvation
2. Foreknowledge is a meaningful relationship based on God’s choice
3. Predestination refers to my destiny to be conformed to the image of Christ
a) I can be conformed voluntarily
b) I can be conformed involuntarily
When God establishes a relationship with us, He does so with a GOAL in mind. Memorial Day allows us to see our future – secure due to the sacrifices of others. For the believer in Christ, we also have a future – a GOAL, not our own, but God’s. A divine goal for each and every one of us.
III. CHERISH THE GIFT OF FREEDOM – ROMANS 8:31-39
A. What our response should be – Hallelujah
B. The extent of our freedom – “who can prevail?” (none can prevail)