Summary: If you are going to minister to people of both genders, you have to respect both genders and try to understand how both genders operate. This is true in marriage, church, evangelism, business, and community.
Men and Women Think Differently
1. The differences between men and women are legion.
2. For example,
"In a Harvard study of several hundred preschoolers, researchers discovered an interesting phenomenon. As they taped the children’s playground conversation, they realized that all the sounds coming from little girls’ mouths were recognizable words. However, only 60 percent of the sounds coming from little boys were recognizable. The other 40 percent were yells and sound effects like "Vrrrooooom!" "Aaaaagh!" "Toot toot!" This difference persists into adulthood.
"Communication experts say that the average woman speaks over 25,000 words a day while the average man speaks only a little over 10,000. What does this mean in marital terms? . . . On average a wife will say she needs to spend 45 minutes to an hour each day in meaningful conversation with her husband. What does her husband sitting next to her say is enough time for meaningful conversation? Fifteen to twenty minutes--once or twice a week! " www.highrpraise.org
3. Men and women are different down to their very souls, but millions of people live to old age and go to their graves oblivious of even some of the most basic differences.
4. Unless you live in an environment that is totally segregated by gender, it pays to understand how men and women differ. Our first point will be relevant to all situations, whereas the last two are applied to marriage.
Main idea: If you are going to minister to people of both genders, you have to respect both genders and try to understand how both genders operate. This is true in marriage, church, evangelism, business, and community.
I. The Male Pattern, The Female Pattern, and God
A. How God WIRED the Brain
1. everyone’s brain is constantly changing its physical shape…certain areas adding cells, certain areas deleting them
Best things to do: play an instrument, read, and listen to dramas/entertainment
Worst things to do: movies, television, videos, drugs, do not use…
2. male and female brain Male/Female
Female brain more connected, great for divided attention
Male brain segregated, great for concentrated focus
The difference in shape and connectivity occurs at 6 weeks in the womb
Both configurations have their pros and cons…
Sometimes something goes wrong
B. Moral Decision-Making DIFFERENCES
"Christian women often find themselves on the horns of a dilemma: Should they make moral decisions on the basis of rules and abstract principles (ignoring their concern for others), or should they make moral decisions on the basis of what seems best for all parties, regardless of the rules of abstract principles?" Alice Matthews from Preaching That Speaks to Women, p. 38.
C. The Male and Female Moral Value Mentality Defined
1. Men: objective laws to be obeyed no matter what the relational fallout
2. Women: maintaining harmonious and right relationships is what is crucial
3. The example of the Fall (Genesis 3:1-7)
4. Paul’s explanation (I Timothy 2:11-15)
5. Could it be that Eve also wanted to please the serpent?