Summary: In this message I wanted to alert the body of Christ that many times the men/ husbands are left out when it comes to the mission field around us.
Men: The Abandoned Mission Field
Today, I want to talk to you about 1 big area of the mission field that we have left out, and that area is men.
I. Wrong Focus
A) The church has adopted the McDonald’s approach to church, and it’s failing miserably.
1. Get the kids, and you get the family, but that’s not actually the truth, because in many cases it doesn’t work. If that was the case, the churches now would be full of parents, just as much as their children.
2. Two centuries ago, there was no such thing as a youth pastor or Children’s church, because family life was different than it is today.
3. We are even seeing now that teenagers have been pushed aside because after all, it’s about the kids, you get the kids, you get the family. Our teens are walking away from their faith after they leave the parents home.
4. I think that if we can find a way to get dad to be sold out for the Lord, you will have no problem getting the family, because the father is the head of the household, and should be the spiritual head, even though many wives are forced to take that role.
B) There Is An Epidemic
1. Matthew 9: 10-13
2. We know that our men need to get hooked up to the great Physician, we just got to figure out how to get them there.
3. Statistics show young people are easier to convert than adults. Most born again adults received Christ during their teenage years. Again, our thoughts are, get the kids saved, I agree with you to an extent, but what we need to do 1st is get dad saved, than the kids will come.
4. Russell Rainey asked a number of men why they didn’t go to church. A common response was: “There’s nothing for me to do”
5. When he asked why don’t you do something in your church? Their response was “I am not a preacher, and all that’s left is an usher.”
6. The church has pushed the men to the side, and men feel like all they can do is preach or usher.
7. Men feel insignificant, they feel like the church doesn’t offer them anything. They feel the church doesn’t need their gifts, or want to use their talents. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
8. Most men think that church is for women and children, not for them.
9. The Church has adopted the Titanic approach to church. Get the children and women 1st, and pray for the men.
II. Jesus’ Approach To Ministry
A) Get The Men, And You Will Get The Family
1. What’s wrong with the women-and-children focus of today’s church? After all, men aren’t very interested. Why should we minister and focus our attention on men? Because Jesus did.
2. Jesus didn’t focus His ministry on women and children, Jesus’ approach was men 1st. This doesn’t mean that the women and children weren’t important, but Jesus understood the concept, you get the father, you get the family.
3. Matthew 9:35- 38 10: 1 & 5-8
III. What Men Bring To The Body Of Christ.
A) Men’s Gifts Promote Church Health
1. Men make things happen. Men expand the church and its influence in the world.
B) Men’s Orientation Toward Risk Promotes Church Health
1. Men are hard wired for risk taking.