Summary: A LOOK AT THE MIRACLES OF GOD BECOMING A MAN AND WHAT WE CAN PONDER BUT NEVER COMPREHEND
The Miracle & Mystery of Christmas — Isaiah 9:2-7
• The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
• Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil.
• For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian.
• For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire.
• For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
• Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
I. The Miracle of Squishi
a. This is pictured in the widow’s cruise of oil that Elijah multiplied – abundance in a small space
b. Clostrophobic examples:
i. Tight space for you to squeeze in? Crowded elevator?
ii. I had MRI for back troubles and they had to put butter on my stomach to make sure they could get me out
c. If you want to have the greatest example of compression it is in Bethlehem
d. Listen to the prophet describe the size of God: Isaiah 40:12 “Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?”
e. His size extends beyond the vastness of the universe –
i. Larger than the luminous heavens
ii. Grander than the galaxies
f. Hurling the milky ways with the command of His voice, He “clostrophobicized” Himself to cram into the womb of a 14 year old virgin.
g. The Great God of the universe, that if He were to stretch out His arms would literally shake galaxies, crammed His fullness into the manger in Bethlehem
h. God, who is omnipresent – everywhere fully at the same time because time and space are not able to confine Him – shrink-wrapped Himself in human skin and bone in the baby boy in Bethlehem
II. Miracle of the Virgin Birth
a. Foretold since the Garden, through the prophet Isaiah, comes a great stumbling block of the Christian faith
b. Mary’s experience is unique among women of all ages
i. Not only was she an innocent virgin, but she carried her maker inside her
ii. While the wonder of pregnancy is always joyful and miraculous, inside this teenager’s womb was kicking the feet that would crush the head of the serpent
iii. Inside Mary were moving the hands that would be pierced to redeem all of sinful humanity
iv. Inside Mary were the hands that fashioned Adam from the dust of the earth