Summary: The complication of lack of faith in the Christian life and its effects.
NO NO NAZARETH
I. THE SITUATION: JESUS IN HIS HOME TOWN
A. Jesus arrives in his hometown of Nazareth
1. His disciples are with him which means it is a large traveling group and he would be noticed as He
returned home. This could have been a big deal / big event.
2. The people of the town know Jesus because He grew up there.
3. The people are still familiar with Jesus’ family because they still live and work there.
a) We get a small insight to Jesus’ family and we know He had at least 4 brothers.
b) We get a small insight into Jesus’ family and we know He has sisters.
B. Jesus speaks in the synagogue when everyone gathers for worship.
1. Verse 2 tells us that at first the people were amazed at His teachings
a) The temple guards: “No one ever spoke the way this man does” (John 7:46)
b) The crowds who heard: “the crowds were amazed at His teaching” (Matthew 7:28)
c) The people who heard: “The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as
one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.” (Mark 1:22)
2. Verses 5-6 tell us that Jesus did not do a whole lot in His hometown. There was no faith. Jesus only
healed a few sick people and it was not a productive time. He did just a little teaching. The people were
not interested. Verse 4 tells us Jesus told them, “Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his
own house is a prophet without honor.”
II. THE COMPLICATION: LACK OF FAITH
A. The complication is that in verse six it tells us that there was a lack of faith.
B. Where does lack of faith come from?
1. The lack of faith in Nazareth was tied to their offense at Him in verse 3. Maybe it is the same for us:
a) We are offended when God does not work things the way we want them to and so we have no
faith. We want God to run our lives the way we want… which means we really are running the
b) We are offended when God does not decree the things that we think are right. God has set
down many things that are right and wrong that many people struggle with. Some teachings in the Bible offend people when they study… even Christians.
1) living together / sex before marriage
2) homosexual lifestyle
3) how to treat others, forgiveness issues
2. The lack of faith in Jesus comes because we believe in other things more:
a) our own efforts, ideas, abilities, and talents (believe in ourselves more)
b) our own way of doing things (believe in our own way more)
c) our own decisions and the way we want to live our lives (believe we know better than God)
III. THE RESOLUTION: NO MIRACLES
A. The result of the offense of the people of Nazareth is recorded for us in verses 5-6: “He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith. Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village.”
1. Jesus did only a few miracles
2. Jesus moved on
B. The eternal spiritual principle: lack of faith means God does not work
C. A related passage that helps us understand is Mark 9:19-24:
1. terms: lack of faith, faithlessness, unbelief