Summary: The practice of consulting the dead was forbidden by the severest punishment for those who practiced consulting the dead.
A. HISTORICAL SETTING OF MODERN SPIRITISM
1. Date: 1847-48 A.D.
2. Place: Hydesville, New York
3. Actors: The Fox Sisters
B. CLAIMS OF SPIRITISM
1. "The dead seek to communicate with the living":
2. "Spirit Mediums are agents used by the departed spirits to commune with the living":
3. Methods of communication:
a. Knocking or rapping; usually three knocks in succession.
b. Floating objects in the air; table dancing.
c. Spirit Photos are used to prove the phenomena of Spiritism.
4. Unusual success claimed for Spiritism:
a. Millions subscribe to Spiritism, openly and secretly.
b. A number of noted scientists are among the proponents of Spiritism.
c. Power of bodily healing is claimed by
5. Fertile soil for Spiritism:
a. In time of war and great loss of life.
b. The loss of loved ones in the home where members of the family are deeply devoted to each other.
c. People filled with great curiosity about the state of the dead.
d. Demonstrations in their meetings and the eagerness of some people contribute to the success of Spiritism.
e. They believe that the soul is immortal, which is another contributing factor to the growth of Spiritism.
f. It is said that the cult of Spiritism has millions of secret adherents in the Catholic church and also among many Protestant organizations.
C. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FACTS ABOUT THE PHENOMENA OF MODERN SPIRITISM?
1. Blind denials of the claims of Spiritism are not necessarily proof against it:
2. The claims of Spiritism must be tested with the Bible:
a. "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them" - Isa. 8:19, 20
b. Only in the light of the Bible can the truth about Spiritism be known.
3. A study of the claims of Spiritism:
a. The Bible teaches that the dead know not anything- Eccl. 9:5, 6; Ps. 6:5; 146:3, 4
b. Proof is found in Isa. 63:16; Job 14:21; 17:13
c. Christ did all His work in the open, never in the dark - John 18:20; Matt. 24:26
4. The Bible warns us against Spiritism:
a. The practice of consulting the dead was forbidden by the severest punishment for those who practiced consulting the dead. Compare Lev. 19:31; Deut. 13:1-5 with Deut. 18:9-13; Isa. 8:19; Acts 16:16
5. Spiritism is not new at all:
a. It was introduced by Lucifer in the Garden of Eden- Gen. 3:1-3
b. Ancient nations practiced it in different forms; in Egypt; in Greece; and among the Romans.
6. The facts are that Satan and his angels are the true actors of Spiritism: 2 Cor. 11:14, 15
7. Saul’s meddling with Spiritism brought disaster to him: 1 Sam. 28:1; 1 Chron. 10:13, 14
9. A full explanation of Spiritism: 1 Tim. 4:1; Matt. 24:23-25; Rev. 13:13; 2 Thess. 2:9; Eph. 6:12