Summary: Moms in the real world: 1. Can see great happiness. 2. Can know great heartache. 3. Can need great help. 4. Can have great hope.
Moms in the Real World
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - May 12, 2013
(Revised from sermon preached at McClendon Baptist Church - May 10, 2009)
*I am so glad that you chose to make worship with us a key part of your Mother’s Day. Thinking about moms in the real world, let me ask you to open your Bibles to Jeremiah 31:15-17. This little known Scripture winds up in one of the best-known parts of the Bible:
15. Thus says the Lord: "A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation and bitter weeping, Rachel weeping for her children, refusing to be comforted for her children, because they are no more.’’
16. Thus says the Lord: "Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears; for your work shall be rewarded,’’ says the Lord, "And they shall come back from the land of the enemy.
17. There is hope in your future,’’ says the Lord, "That your children shall come back to their own border.
*Moms in the real world. One mother said:
-"BEFORE Children: I was thankful to have been born the USA, the most powerful free democracy in the world.
-AFTER Children: I am thankful for Velcro tennis shoes.
-BEFORE Children: I was thankful for holistic medicine and natural herbs.
-AFTER Children: I am thankful for pediatric cough syrup guaranteed to "cause drowsiness" in young children.
-BEFORE Children: I was thankful for a warm, cozy home to share with my loved ones.
-AFTER Children: I am thankful for the lock on the bathroom door." (1)
*Moms in the real world: A lot of things have changed since I was born back in 1951, but some things never change. And here in God’s Word we find four constants:
1. First: Moms in the real world can see great happiness.
*Rachel had a baby. The Rachel in vs. 15 represents a whole group of mothers who lived in and around Bethlehem when Jesus was born. These mothers were all descendents of Jacob and Rachel. And they all had little children two years old or younger. Rachel had a baby!
*What great joy we have when God sends new life into the world. Like most dads my age and younger, I got to be in the delivery room when my three children were born. Those were times of indescribable joy. But dads, our joy cannot compare with a mother’s joy over the birth of her children.
*All healthy mothers rejoice over their children. In John 16:21, Jesus compared the joy His resurrection would bring to a mother’s joy. And Jesus said: "A woman, when she is in labor, has sorrow because her hour has come; but as soon as she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world." In other words: A mother’s joy is strong enough to erase all the pains of childbirth.
*Moms get great happiness. -- But ladies we also want to remind you that you give great happiness to many people. Your husbands and children want you to know how much we appreciate you. My words could never express how uncommonly good you are for us.
*Listen to part of the praise God’s Word gives you in Proverbs 31:
10. Who can find a virtuous woman? For her worth is far above rubies.
11. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain.
12. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13. She seeks wool and flax, and willingly works with her hands.
14. She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar.
15. She also rises while it is yet night, and provides food for her household, and a portion for her maidservants.
18. She perceives that her merchandise is good, and her lamp does not go out by night.
20. She extends her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.
25. Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come.
26. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.
28. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29. "Many daughters have done well, but you excel them all.’’
30. Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
31. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates.
*Godly mothers, we praise you! -- You bring boundless joy into our lives.
-Moms in the real world can see great happiness.
2. But they can also know great heartache.