Summary: A look at the feelings of worthlessness and unworthiness that leads some believers to believe that God has more important things to do that attend to their needs. This message focuses on vv. 24 and 28 to give us confidence that God is there for us.
[Drama: lady with priceless china; after back is turned (maybe while talking to another woman), the movers are tossing it around.]
A RECURRING STRUGGLE WITH TRUSTING GOD WITH MONEY WORRIES: “Why would God pay attention to me?”
- For many people, one of the sources of worry is the belief that God isn’t paying attention to them. “Why would God pay attention to me?” they wonder.
- They believe that they will be forgotten by Him because He’s got more important things to attend to.
BELIEVING THAT YOU'RE NOT FORGOTTEN BY HIM:
1. WE HAVE BEEN DECLEARED "MUCH MORE VALUABLE" BECAUSE WE ARE HIS CHILDREN.
- Luke 12:24, 28 – “. . . much more valuable you are than birds!,” “. . . how much more. . .”
- Not only have we been declared “valuable,” but we’ve been called “much more valuable” than the birds.
- Why are we? Because we are His children. We were created in His image.
- If I have scheduled a pastoral visit with one of you and then one of my kids calls and there’s an emergency and they need me, I’m going to cancel my meeting with you. Why? Well, I love you, but you’re not as important to me as my child. Why? Because they’re my child.
- Especially for those who struggle with feelings of being worthless or unworthy, it’s hard to believe that they are valuable. Jesus here makes that declaration: we are valuable.
- It’s easy to believe that God is going to forget you when you consider yourself worthless or unworthy.
- I’ve known quite a few people down through the years who weren’t able to see that they are valuable.
- I am a child of God.
- It’s a stunning thing to consider the thought that God feels toward me the way that I feel toward my children. The God of the universe has that kind of affection toward me!
- There are levels of value and we are at the top of the list because we were created in the image of God.
2. HE'S PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO US BECAUSE THE STAKES ARE HIGHER BECAUSE WE'RE PERMANENT.
- Luke 12:28 – “. . . the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire. . .”
- The flowers are here today and gone tomorrow. Each one does not have eternal value. They are here for a season and then they cease to exist.
- Humans, however, are different. God says that we are eternal. We exist not only in this life, but also in the life to come, whether in God’s presence or away from Him (hell).
- Because of that eternal nature, we are more value because the stakes are higher. You put more thought into buying a house than you do what you’re ordering at a restaurant. One reason: that house decision is going to last a lot longer. Another: there’s something more substantial on that table.
3. THIS IS NOT AN ABSTRACT LOVE BUT ONE THAT TAKES CARE OF SPECIFIC NEEDS.
- Luke 12:28 – “. . . how much more will He clothe you. . .”
- This is not an abstract love that focuses on nice words but isn’t there for you when you need it.