Summary: exposition on Matt ch 7
MORE DIVINE WARNINGS
1. God’s warning against censoriousness or "mote hunting" in God’s work v. 1
" Judge not that ye be not judged."
(a) Negatively - v. 1 "judge not"or critize or condemn others
(b) Positively v. 1 "that ye be not judged" v. 2 explains why:-
(c) Instructively i.e.ye shall be judged in like measure.
(d) Constructively v. 5 "thou hypocrite?" why a hypocrite?
(1) A wrong view of God i.e. He is judge (not Pharisees)
(2) A wrong view of others "God looks on the heart" e.g. Barnabas & Saul (after Saul’s conversion) Acts 9 (quickview)  v. 26 Jerusalem "they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a disciple, v. 27 "but Barnabas brought him to the apostles."
(3) A wrong view of ourselves v. 5 "first" i.e. judge yourself first. John 8 (quickview)  v. 1 - 11 we read of the adulteress who was brought before Jesus, and the Lord responded "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the stone" and then to the sinner " go and sin no
more ", "then shalt thou see clearly"
2.God’s warning against carelessness in God’s work v. 6 "give not that which is holy unto the dogs"
(a) Negatively "give not" i.e. no force feeding of rebels - "behold I stand at the door and knock , if any man hear my voice and open the door." and again "my Spirit shall not always strive with man."
(b) Positively - " that which is holy," pure, precious (pearls), profitable -the word of God.
(c) Descriptively "unto dogs and pigs" i.e. "impure and imprudent man" -- used of those who are reprobate concerning the faith.
(d) Instructively " lest they turn again and rend you " notice the desire to see souls saved, the disappointment at those lost, and the need for discernment to tell the difference.
3. God’s warning against Cynicism in God’s work v. 7 "Ask, and it shall be given unto you, seek and ye shall find, knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
(a) Positively - demand it - reverently, respectfully, resolutely, & rightfully - as an heir of God.
(b) Instructively v. 8 "for everyone that asketh, receiveth".
(c) Constructively v. 11 "how much more shall your Heavenly Father give good things?" ie. feed, clothe, bless, heal, protect & keep you." How much more give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him? " no room for unbelief here.
4. God’s warning against Conceit in God’s work v. 12 The golden rule. "Do unto others as ye would they should do to you."
(a) The sense "therefore"
(b) The scope "all things"
(c) The source "that ye would "
(d) The secret "do to them".
(e) The summary " for this is the law and the prophets. "
5. God’s warning against Complacency in God’s work
v. 13 & 14 "enter ye in at the strait gate"
(a) The responsibility of entering "enter ye" Notice it’s personal, it’s present - now, and it’s pressing, "my Spirit shall not always strive."
(b) The reasons for entering - It’s :-
(1) A restricted way (narrow)
(2) A resented way (few find it.)
(3) A required way ( No man cometh unto the Father but by me.)
(c) The resolve in entering "strive to enter" i.e. agonize as a fighter or as a runner.
(d) The results in entering "which leadeth unto life" and "few there be that find it".