Summary: God called Abraham to go to the Promised Land and there He would make a great nation out of them. The Savior for the world would come through them.
A. GOD’S CHOSEN PEOPLE: THE JEWS
God called Abraham to go to the Promised Land and there He would make a great (influential) nation out of them. The Savior for the world would come through them.
They entered Egypt victorious but ended up as slaves. “Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph” (Ex. 1:8). “Therefore they set taskmasters over them to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh supply cities, Pithom and Raamses” (Ex. 1:11).
B. MOSES SOVEREIGNLY PREPARED
1. He was born in the spiritual leadership tribe of Levi (Ex. 2:1).
2. His parents were courageous (Ex. 2:1-3). “By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s command” (Heb. 11:23).
3. He was adopted by Hatsheput (1504-1450 BC). Her great grandfather was Abmose I, and her father was Thutmose II. It was only natural for her to give him a family name, Moses. Later she was co-regent with her half-brother, Thutmose III. “Pharaoh’s daughter . . . nourished him as her own son” (Acts 7:21).
4. He was given an exceptional education. “And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds” (Acts 7:22).
C. MOSES’ PREPARATION FOR SERVICE
1. Levitical – spiritual leadership line (Ex. 2:1).
2. Adopted by Hatsheput (Ex. 2:5; Heb. 11:24).
3. Exceptional education.
4. Murdered an Egyptian at age 40 (Ex. 2:11-13).
5. Forty years as a shepherd in the desert.
D. MOSES WAS RELUCTANT AT CALL OF GOD AT THE BURNING BUSH (EX. 3:1-4; 14)
“So when the Lord saw that he (Moses) turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” (Ex. 3:4).
1. I am unfit, 3:11, Answer: be with you
2. I am untaught, 3:13, Answer: tell about Me
3. I am unbelief, 4:1, Answer: miracles
4. I am unable to talk, 4:11, Answer: I made mouth
5. I am unwilling, God cannot use unwilling person
E. TEN PLAGUES – EX. 8-12
God demonstrated His power over the false gods of Egypt.
CONTEST EGYPTIAN GOD WORSHIP
Water to blood Osiris River
Frogs Hekt Fertility
Lice Seb Cleanliness
Flies Kephera Cleanliness
Cattle Apis & Hater Bull
Boils Typhon Health
Hail Shu Weather God
Locust Seapis Animal life
Darkness Ra (Re) Sun
Death (1st born) Ptah Life
F. THE PASSOVER – EXODUS 12
1. Lamb without blemish, (Ex. 12:5-6).
2. Lamb was killed, (Ex. 12:6).
3. Blood applied, (Ex. 12:7).
4. No leaven sign of sin, (Ex. 12:8).
5. “When I see the blood, I will pass over you” (Ex. 12:13).
G. FROM EGYPT TO SINAI
1. Approximately 600,000 men, plus families.
2. Crossed Red Sea by a miracle.
3. Pillar of cloud/fire guided them.
“And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night. He did not take away the pillar of cloud by day or the pillar of fire by night from before the people” (Ex. 13:21-22).
H. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
No other gods Against polytheism
No carved images Against idols
Do not take God’s name in vain Against profanity
Keep 7th day holy Against secularism
Honor parents Against rebellion
Do not murder Respect for life
Do not commit adultery Against sexual impurity
Do not steal Respect property rights
Do no lie Respect personal integrity
Do not covet Against materialism
I. HOW TO APPROACH GOD IN TABERNACLE
“And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission” (Heb. 9:22).
“Aaron shall lay both his hands on the head of the live goat, confess over it all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions, concerning all their sins, putting them on the head of the goat, and shall send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a suitable man” (Lev. 16:21).
1. One door, only way to God.
2. Brazen altar, entrance through blood.
3. Golden laver (giant bowl), cleansing
4. Golden lamp stand, light.
5. Table of shewbread, strength.
6. Altar of incense, prayer.
7. Ark (box) of the Covenant, God’s presence.
J. THE FEAST (CALENDAR) OF ISRAEL
April Passover Death of Christ Lev. 23:5
April Firstfruits Resurrection Lev. 23:11
June Pentecost Holy Spirit Lev. 23:15
September Trumpets Rapture Lev. 23:24
October Day of Atonement Israel’s Conversion Lev. 23:27
October Tabernacle Future Kingdom Lev. 23:34-43
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart: