Summary: God uses earthly things to teach us eternal truth. 1. The Ark: God’s law and love (Exo 25:8-22). 2. The showbread: God’s life (Exo 25:23-30). 3. The lampstand: God’s light (Exo 25:31-40). 4. The tabernacle: God living in His saints (Exo 26:1-27).
Moses on the Mountain with the Lord - Part 8
Sermon by Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - July 28, 2010 pm
BACKGROUND & INTRODUCTION:
*Tonight we continue looking at Moses on Mount Sinai with the pre-incarnate LORD, Jesus Christ. We will continue to study Moses’ 5th visit with the Lord. (1)
*This time Moses will be on the mountain for 40 days, but the Lord waited 6 whole days before He even began to speak to Moses. Then on the 7th day, the Lord began to speak, and in Exodus 25, God’s first words were a call for the Children of Israel to give a love offering for the new place of worship.
*We saw this in vs. 1&2:
1. Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:
2. "Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.
*Next, the Lord described all the precious things that would be needed for the Tabernacle. Then in vs. 8, the Lord told Moses: “Let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.”
*Based on these verses last week, we talked about God wanting His people to give back to Him in a generous, open-hearted, cheerful way.
-We talked about how God wants to live with His people.
-Then we began to see how God uses earthly things to teach us eternal truth.
*The first example was the Ark. Let’s read about it in vs. 9-16, where the Lord said:
9. According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.
10. "And they shall make an ark of acacia wood; two and a half cubits shall be its length, a cubit and a half its width, and a cubit and a half its height.
11. And you shall overlay it with pure gold, inside and out you shall overlay it, and shall make on it a molding of gold all around.
12. You shall cast four rings of gold for it, and put them in its four corners; two rings shall be on one side, and two rings on the other side.
13. And you shall make poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold.
14. You shall put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark, that the ark may be carried by them.
15. The poles shall be in the rings of the ark; they shall not be taken from it.
16. And you shall put into the ark the Testimony which I will give you.
*God uses earthly things to teach us eternal truth.
1. And as we saw last week, the Ark teaches us about God’s law and His love.
 We see the law in vs. 16, where the Lord told Moses: “You shall put into the ark the Testimony which I will give you.”
*The Lord was talking about the Ten Commandments, written on two tablets by the Finger of God. Those Ten Commandments hold up God’s standard of perfection which we have all failed to reach. So the Ark bore witness to the eternal death we all deserved.
 But the Ark was covered by the Mercy Seat, and the Lord began to speak about the Mercy Seat in vs. 17:
17. “You shall make a mercy seat of pure gold; two and a half cubits shall be its length and a cubit and a half its width.
18. And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work you shall make them at the two ends of the mercy seat.