Summary: What mothers do for us.
INTRO.- Today we are here to worship the Lord and honor our mothers. Not only are we commanded to honor our mothers; it’s also the sensible and loving thing to do. Many of us here today wish we still had our mothers living so we could honor them, remember them and love them.
ILL.- A six-year-old boy, separated from his mother in a supermarket, began to call frantically for “Martha! Martha! Martha!”
That was his mother’s name and she came running to him quickly. “But, honey,” she admonished, “you shouldn’t call me ‘Martha’, I’m ‘Mother’ to you.” “Yes, I know,” he answered, “but this store is full of mothers.”
Our world is full of mothers, but we have only one mother who is special. Should be. Must always be. There is no one like our mothers. And no one can take the place of our mothers.
ILL.- Someone wrote: You’ve Turned Into A Mom When:
- You automatically double-knot everything you tie.
- You find yourself humming the Barney song as you do the dishes.
- You hear a baby cry in the grocery store, and you start to gently sway back and forth, back and forth. However, your children are either at school or long gone!
- You actually start to like the smell of strained carrots mixed with applesauce.
- You spend a half hour searching for your sunglasses only to have your teenager say, "Mom, why don’t you wear the ones you pushed up on your head?"
- You are out for a nice romantic meal with your husband, enjoying some real adult conversation, when suddenly you realize that you’ve reached over and started to cut up his steak!
Things Our Mothers Taught Us
- My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
"If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning."
- My mother taught me about RELIGION.
"You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
- My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
- My mother taught me LOGIC.
"Because I said so, that’s why."
- My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
"Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident."
- My mother taught me IRONY.
"Keep crying, and I’ll give you something to cry about."
- My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
"Shut your mouth and eat your supper."
- My mother taught me about STAMINA.
"You’ll sit there until all that spinach is gone."
- My mother taught me about WEATHER.
"This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."
- My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
- My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
"Stop acting like your father!"
- My mother taught me about ENVY.
"There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do."
- My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
"Just wait until we get home"
- My mother taught me about RECEIVING.
"You are going to get it when you get home!"
- My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
"If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, the wind will change and you will stay like that."