Summary: As a woman, single, married, mother, widow you can possess the joy of being alive. God has given your gifts to serve Him and make an impact on your family and community.
Mothers Gifted by God
Today is a special day for all of us to remember our Mothers. For some of us the memories are pleasant and for others not so pleasant. Young Timothy in our Scripture text had the advantage of a Godly heritage. Both his mother and his grandmother were women of sincere faith.
Genesis 2:13-25 tells the story of the creation of human kind. It is clear that God created women. Someone has written:
God made woman
To add a feminine touch to life…
To add fragrance of beauty…
To be a wife and companion…
To live for God as an important
To become a mother…
The teachings of the New Testament brought a new level of honor to women.
Before Christ the Jewish view of women was very low. A strict Jewish man would pray in the morning: “I thank God that He did not make me a Gentile, a slave or a woman.” According to Jewish law a woman had no legal rights, she was absolutely under the control of her husband.
Before the time of Christ Greek culture treated women as nobodies. Women were forced to live secluded lives. They could have no part in public life; they never appeared on the streets alone. Each woman had her own living quarters and only her husband could enter. In Greek culture the woman was an object to be used.
Roman culture was no better. The Roman thought: “women are married to be divorced and divorced to be married.” Roman men did not date their lives by years but by the names of their divorced wives.
The teachings of Jesus and Paul brought the marriage relationship into a new perspective. Paul called men and women to a new fidelity, purity and fellowship in the married life.
On this Mother’s Day we want to get a Biblical perspective on women. Women gifted by God demonstrate the fine art of being a woman and the privileges of being a wife and mother.
I. The Fine Art of Being a Woman.
Women are not naturally born with charm. They have to develop it. Charm is an inner beauty. It means good grooming, but more. Charm is the ability to bring the best in every person to the surface.
Arlene Francis gives ten ways to become a woman of charm:
1. Get organized. Plan every day ahead of time.
2. Make sure you’re well groomed.
3. Do one thing special for someone else as a surprise.
4. Do one thing a day to make your home more pleasant.
5. Do one thing you’ve been embarrassed to do in the past. Visit that new neighbor you’ve been too shy to go see.
6. Read something worthwhile for a t least 15 minutes each day.
7. Think about someone you dislike-pray for him or her and wish the person well. Petty bitterness distracts from charm. The desire to slander those you dislike eats like an acid at your own personality.
8. Practice looking a person directly in the eye and concentrate wholly on what is being said.
9. Practice laughing at your own mistakes.
10. Practice forgetting yourself completely. Get totally absorbed in something outside yourself.
Ladies, you are uniquely a woman. Thank God you are who you are. Don’t let anti-Christian attitudes take away your feminine touch.