Summary: Mothers love is likened to Gods love it is personable, His love gives us jobs, His love remains, and His Love is sacrificial.
John 15:9-17 "Mothers Love"
1. Mothers Love was a love that was personable, Although Mom had four children she loved me
• It's a love that is specific to you. Mom chooses us, singled us out,
• God singles us out chooses specifically one of us
• Vs 16 "You did not choose me but I chose you" Jesus says that we, too, were chosen by him, even as God chose Jesus.
2. Mother loved us enough to give us Jobs
• We loved it when she asked us to help her, to work side by side with her –
• Whether it was helping to bake some cookies, or to put our finger in the string when she was tying a knot on some packages, didn't matter. I had to iron clothes
• We loved it. We weren't crazy about doing chores
• God loves us this way, too. We are tasked with helping God with the chores. Vs 16 says we were chosen to “bear fruit”
3. Mothers Love is a love that remains.” It Continues, It endures, It stays
• Note the text says, “Now remain in my love," the text says (v. 9). Jesus says we remain in his love when we obey his commands (v. 10).
• We can never be outside of God's love, even as we were never outside of mom's love.
• And, we are always in the love of God. See Romans 8:35-39. Nothing can separate us from God's love.
4. Mothers Love required us to Play Nice and Share
• "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you" (v. 12). At the end of the reading, Jesus says it again: "This is my command: love each other" (v. 17 NIV).
• Can't you hear mom asking us to play nice? "Be nice to your brother!" "Take your sister with you."
• Well, God loves us this way, too. God loves us enough to ask us to share the love with others.
5. Mothers Love is a love that is Sacrificial.
• Mom was always sacrificing her time, her work, her food
• "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life" (v. 13).
• God sacrificed: (John 3:16 for God so loved that He gave His only begotten Son
• On this Mother's Day, we give thanks for our mothers who gave us the gift of life
• We give thanks for all the women who gave us love that shaped us, comforted us and encouraged us, taught us and believed in us.
Remember Mothers Love is personable God’s love is personable God loves me
Mothers Love gave us jobs bear fruit
Mother’s love Remains it endures it continues, it stays
Mothers Love Requires of us to share(share the good news church)
Mothers Love is sacrificial always giving