Summary: God knows our motives. As Christians, we must examine our motives to ensure we are motivated by love only. God sent His only begotten Son, Jesus because He was motivated by love for us. Jesus demonstrated obedience to the Father and love for us by laying
• God knows our motives.
• As Christians, we must examine our motives to ensure we are motivated by love only.
• God sent His only begotten Son, Jesus because He was motivated by love for us.
• Jesus demonstrated obedience to the Father and love for us by laying down His life for us.
• When we love God, we will be motivated by love and serve others as an expression of our love toward Him.
• Let us look to the scriptures this morning and see what God’s Word says about Love.
A. God’s motivation is always love.
(NKJV) John 3 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
1. We have to understand and come to know the love of God.
a. Love has action or a demonstration.
i. Love is an action word.
ii. It involves sacrifice.
(AMP) 1 John 3 16 By this we come to know (progressively to recognize, to perceive, to understand) the [essential] love: that He laid down His [own] life for us; and we ought to lay [our] lives down for [those who are our] brothers [in Him]. 17 But if anyone has this world’s goods (resources for sustaining life) and sees his brother and fellow believer in need, yet closes his heart of compassion against him, how can the love of God live and remain in him? 18 Little children, let us not love [merely] in theory or in speech but in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity).
2. Our motive should always be that of love. Not what we can get from someone, but what we do for them. Love is selfless.
B. When we serve, we should be motivated only by love.
(NKJV) Colossians 3 22 Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eye service, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. 23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
1. Remember, God knows your motives.
2. We should serve one another in love.
3. Your motive for serving is because you love God.
a. Serving will not be difficult when love is the motive.
b. It will be harder to serve if love is not the motive.
4. We should follow God’s example of love.
(NKJV) Ephesians 5 1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
5. Words alone cannot express love.
6. Jesus’ dying for us was a demonstration of His love.
a. Because He laid down His life for us, we should be willing to lay down our lives and serve each other.
7. Even when He was betrayed, Jesus loved until the end.
C. As a Christian our life must be a constant demonstration of love.
1. As Christians, we should make a quality decision to love one another.
a. The demonstration of the love of God should be more than a theory in our lives.
2. The love of God is patient, kind and endures long.
(NKJV) 1 Corinthians 13 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
(AMP) 1 Corinthians 13 4Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily. 5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
3. When we demonstrate love, we show people the God in us. God is love.
4. Every law of the Bible is hinged on LOVE. Without love it is impossible to please God.
• Our motives need to line up with God’s motives. That motive is love.
• All the laws and promises of God are hinged to the law of love.
• Love is a lifestyle. Jesus walked in a lifestyle of love and so can we.
• Love is an action word. We need to put our love for one another into action. Be a doer of the Word.