Summary: This is the 16th sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks". This sermon looks at what real love is.
Sunday Morning March 9, 2003 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “Church On The Rocks” [#16]
1. We have heard over and over again how we need to be faithful to God in all that we do. We have heard over and over again how we need to be unified as a church. We have heard over and over again how we need to tell the lost about Jesus. This morning I want us to look at what is even more important, motive. What is the reason, the motivation, behind serving God? The Bible is full of dos and don’ts, but Jesus summed it all up with two commandments.
Matthew 22:34-40 (NIV)
2. What was God’s motivation for sending Jesus to the cross?
John 3:16 (NIV)
3. As we study 1 Corinthians 13 this morning, understand that this is one of the foundational chapters of the Bible. If God’s people will love God with all of their heart, soul, and mind; and they will love everyone as they love themselves, this world will be shaken.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (NIV)
What Is Your Motivation?
1. We can use our spiritual gifts, we can serve faithfully in the church, we can feed the world, we can die for someone, etc…; but if you do not have love none of this matters.
2. See, there is much more to serving God than just going through the motions. Your motive matters.
3. Your motive is to be one of love. Yes, Jesus died on a cross for us, but His motive was love. What motivates you? Is it money, power, or popularity? If it is not love, realize that all you are doing gains you nothing in God’s eyes. So, what is real love? What is the kind of love that God has and is supposed to flow out of His children?
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (NIV)
What Is Real Love?
The Message Bible does a wonderful job of defining all of these components of love. I am going use the NIV and The Message Translations together as we find out what real love is.
1. Love is patient: Love never gives up.
2. Love is kind: Love cares more for others than for self.
3. Love does not envy: Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
4. Love does not boast: Love doesn’t strut.
5. Love is not proud: Love doesn’t have a swelled head.
6. Love is not rude: Love doesn’t force itself on others.
7. Love is not self-seeking: Love isn’t always “me first”.
8. Love is not easily angered: Love doesn’t fly off the handle.
9. Love keeps no record of wrongs: Love doesn’t keep score of the sins of others.
10. Love does not delight in evil: Love doesn’t revel when others grovel.
11. Love rejoices with the truth: Love takes pleasure in the flowering of truth.
12. Love always protects: Love puts up with anything.
13. Love always trusts: Love trusts God always.
14. Love always hopes: Love always looks for the best.
15. Love always perseveres: Love never looks back, but keeps going to the end.
16. Love never fails: Love never dies.
1. Sometimes we are like children who forget what really matters. We think because we have man’s approval or we do things that make us look good that we have accomplished something, but the simple fact is the motive of our heart is much more important than all the things we do.
2. When we die or Jesus comes for His Church; our ability to witness, to use our spiritual gifts, etc… will be gone, but love lasts forever and ever.
3. One day when we are in Heaven with our Lord and Savior and can see Him face to face, we will understand how important our motive for serving God was and how much God really loves us.
1. Christians, what is your motivation for serving God? Does the love of Jesus flow through your life?
2. Christians, are you willing to change your life in whatever way God asks you to? If you truly love God with all of your heart, soul, and mind then you will be willing to do whatever God ask of you? Christians, are you willing to forgive those that have hurt you and take time to show God’s love to all of those you come into contact with each day?
3. If you are here without Christ as your Savior, I want you to realize that He died on a cross for you because He loves you so much. He is offering you eternal life with Him in Heaven if only you will accept this free gift of salvation.