Summary: The Holy Spirit needs holiness, and He breeds holiness in us. Cooperation with the HS moves us from just visitation to intimate HABITATION.
Moving on with God- the next step in holiness
HEB 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15
these kinds of sermons are PHENOMENALLY hard to preach, as without God’s help… anointing
condemnation and confusion. Even compulsion TO sin
o there’s nothing like being told you shouldn’t do something!
ie don’t put ‘don’t press this button’ on something
• put ‘Danger to life. Wash hands immediately’
Illustr: cf 1920 prohibition of alcohol in certain USA states
dissolved that amendment in 1933 as had led to
• ‘trendyness’ of drinking, bribery and corruption of law and politicians
because people’s insides weren’t changed/motivated
• ‘law’ doesn’t work
The Lord recognises this- that without a change INSIDE… holiness is not something we can achieve
EZE 36:24 " `For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land. 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. 28 You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people, and I will be your God. 29 I will save you from all your uncleanness
So- what is holiness?
1) It’s not perfection
Right until the day we die, our sinful nature… our fallenness is something we will wrestle with.
- perfection, sinlessness is not something we achieve this side of eternity
Paul describes this struggle in Romans 7:14
RO 7:14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do
So- if you find yourself in this condition it means that
- you are ALIVE!
- You are Human!
- God IS in you and working with you- as you wouldn’t notice the tension and temptation if His HS weren’t in there.
So- you’re not looking for a sinless perfection.
2) It’s in the nature of God
Listen- we’re not talking about ‘salvation’ ,here. Whether someone is saved, or not
- of course, if their behaviour is terrible it is right to question whether they are
Eph 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7 Therefore do not be partners with them.
We’re talking about Sanctification- the process of developing fruit and being made holy
- salvation happens the minute you give your life to Jesus
- sanctification takes longer and has ups and downs
So- how our lack of holiness affects us is not by us losing our
-salvation. That is secure
- gifts of the Holy Spirit
- because God doesn’t give one minute and revoke the next
- or people like me would never be able to preach!
- Roms 11:29 !for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.
- there are all kinds of people using God’s gifts
(and if I were Him I would have taken them back)
o using them perhaps more for themselves than God
How lack of holiness affects us is by taking away our INTIMACY with Him
- His tangible presence goes (not His actual presence)
- “without holiness no one will see the Lord”
- we re not so able to draw into His presence
Makes it very difficult if you are a preacher… or a ‘prophet’… as so much of this is based on hearing the Lord… knowing His heart
So- why is this?
- = because Holiness is in the very nature of God
- He is the definition of holiness
- Not just ‘Holy’ but ‘Holy, Holy, Holy’- again and again!.. repeated for all eternity, continually, by the angels around his throne
o Searing purity and sinless perfection
o All consuming fire of holiness that has you saying
‘woe to me, I am disintegrated’ Is 6:5
JOB 42:5 My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.
JOB 42:6 Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.