Summary: It is important to be a part of a body of believers and know them intimately, and both serve and submit to it so that you may experience the power of being united to the head, Jesus Christ.
TITLE: MY ALL IN ALL
SCRIPTURE: EPHESIANS 1:22-23
This is an exciting text found in this first chapter of the book of Ephesians. In this text, the Apostle Paul reflects upon when JESUS ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN - it was God's INCOMPARABLY great power and mighty strength at work. So, how much power did that take? Few weeks ago we witnessed the launch of the final SPACE SHUTTLE ENDEVORER – The Skipper of the Shuttle - COMMANDER MARK KELLY the husband of Representative Gabrieel (Gabby) Giffords, who was badly wounded in that January 8th shooting in Tucson, AZ.
• At the time of ignition of the Space Shuttle - the ground shakes
• Blast shields are up to protect the NASA ground crew
• The noise is tremendous
• An unbelievable amount of energy is needed – so much that the launch rocket and the fuel tanks are more than twice as big as the shuttle itself.
Now, try to imagine the power needed to make a BODY RISE INTO HEAVEN – there is no engine, no rockets, no fuel tanks, no ignition, no shaking of the ground, no blast shields. Even birds need to launch themselves into the air and flap their wings. But Jesus ascended without any of this. Jesus is simply raised into heaven through the incomparably great power and mighty strength of God.
• Our God is a mighty God
• His power is incomparably great
• His is a mighty strength
There are so many events Paul could have selected to show the indescribable Power of God:
• God's creation of everything out of nothing
• Birth of Isaac to an aged Abraham and Sarah
• The Exodus from Egypt
• The tumbling down of Jericho's walls
• The return from Exile
• Daniel in the lions' den
• Any of the many miracles of Jesus
Think, too, of all Paul had seen and done in His ministry:
• He had been shipwrecked but his life was spared
• The bite of a poisonous snake did not harm him
• He raised Eutychus from the dead
God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them. Paul could have mentioned anyone and everyone of these things to show the mighty power of God. But he doesn't. When Paul talks about the power of God, what does he mention? He talks about Jesus. He talks about the RESURRECTION and the ASCENSION.
As far as Paul is concerned, the mighty power of God is focused on Christ. It LEADS to Christ - It EXALTS Christ - It POINTS to Christ. That is the point of the power of God – to exalt Christ! That is why Paul closes by saying in VS. 23 -- He’s My All In All.
According to the opening verses of Ephesians, Jesus was RAISED ONTO THE CROSS - RAISED FROM THE DEAD - RAISED INTO HEAVEN - "to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head.” That was God's plan. It speaks of the future. But VS. 22 speaks of the present – with the raising of Christ, all things have been placed under His feet.
God put everything under Him because He suffered death. God left nothing that is not subject to Him. Yet, at present we do not see everything subject to Him.
• Jesus is in charge - yet, we do not see it
• Jesus is in charge - yet, this is not fully visible to us
• Jesus is in charge - yet, we are sometimes blind to this
• Jesus is victorious – whether we see it or not
• Jesus is in control – whether we see it or not
• Jesus is in charge – whether we see it or not
• Jesus is head over everything
Whether I see it or not, whether I believe it or not, does not change this fact. I don't see GERMS and VIRUSES - but whether I see them or not does not change the fact that they are there. The same thing with the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Take note of this final way in which the power of God is exerted in the ascended Christ - VS. 22 “AND GOD PLACED ALL THINGS UNDER HIS FEET AND APPOINTED HIM TO BE HEAD OVER EVERYTHING FOR THE CHURCH…..Did you catch that last phrase? "FOR THE CHURCH."
• Jesus is head over everything
• Not for Bishop
• Not for PPWC
• Not for any particular Denomination
• For the Church
That is the UNIQUE FEATURE OF CHRISTIANITY – THE CHURCH. While other religions have their MEETINGS – MOSQUES – SYNAGOGUES - Christ established the church, not just as a building or location, but as a people. For us as believers, the church serves as an essential part of our lives.