Summary: I've tried to describe the believers relationship with Jesus in testimony style. "Let me tell you about my fiend Jesus...Let me tell you what He has done for me..."
I started with Chris Jordan's sermon: i-Pray #3: What a Friend we Have in Jesus. Scripture is the same, maybe a phrase here and there, more so at the beginning. But this is a different sermon.
TITLE: My Friend Jesus 12-30-2013
TEXT: Romans 5:8-11 8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. 9 And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. 10 For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. 11 So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.
I. HE’S MY FRIEND
A. This passage contains one of the most amazing facts accomplished by Jesus’ death on the Cross!
1. There are other individuals in the Bible who were so blessed. But these people were stand outs. People chosen for special tasks it seems. Jesus –what He did blew the doors off –He opened it up for the regular Joe and Josephine.
2. There were others who were so favored as to be called God’s friend. Maybe you have heard tell of some of these individuals:
• Exodus 33:11 “So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.”
• James 2:23 “Abraham was called a friend of God.”
• Jesus said to His disciples: John 15:15 “Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.
3. But something marvelous happened round about Matthew 11 –Something a guy like me can relate to; --Something to which I think the whole world can relate.
4. Indeed, the only ones who can’t relate to this are those who won’t; --Those who think more of themselves than they should; --The high and mighty, if only in their own hearts; --Those who take so much pride in their intellectualism that they miss the forest for the trees.
5. What happened? Listen, this is one of my favorites. Matthew 11:18,19 …So people say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came, eating and drinking, and people say, ‘Look at him! He eats too much …and he is a friend of … sinners.’
--I’ve redacted this verse only to lift up the points which personally relate to me.
6. Fellow stumbler, when I consider that Yeshua Ha Meshia condescend to be my friend I look to the sky and think Psalm 8:3-4 “When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him?”
7. Think about it! It is BECAUSE you are a sinner, Jesus has sought you out to be His friend. Whether you have had that initial encounter or not, friendship is His intention.
8. Why? You’ll find this incredible: He enjoys your company. He enjoys listening to you, your innermost thoughts, your joys, your hurts, your fears, your faith, your admission that you’ve messed up, your quest for direction…