Summary: Many people serve a God who can't do the miraculous. Paul's God could do anything. I recommend, if your God can't do what you need done, that you abandon it and try Paul's God. "MY GOD SHALL!"
MY GOD SHALL
A. HUMOR: A HAIR CUT LESSON
1. A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. The man & the barber talked about various subjects.
2. When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said, "I don't believe that God exists." "Why do you say that?" asked the customer.
3. "If God exists, why are there so many sick people? Why are there abandoned children? If God exists, there should be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."
4. The customer disagreed, but didn't respond because he didn't want to start an argument. After he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed beard. He had his answer.
5. He returned to the barbershop and said, "You know what? I don’t believe barbers exist." "How can you say that? I am a barber; and I just worked on you!"
6. "No!" the customer exclaimed. "Barbers don't exist because if they did, there’d be no people with long hair or untrimmed beards, like that man outside."
7. "Ah, but barbers DO exist!" answered the barber. "What happens is, people don’t come to me!"
8. "Exactly!" affirmed the customer. "God also exists! What happens is, people don't go to Him and let Him help them!"
“But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” Phip. 4:19.
1. Paul was in prison. Prisons then weren’t like prisons today; the prisoner’s friends and family had to provide their food, clothing, & necessities, or they’d starve.
2. The Philippians again and again sent Paul contributions to take care of his needs. Paul got a word from God for them;
3. PROMISE & PARALLEL
a. You helped ME, But MY GOD shall supply for you.
b. “ “ “ in ONE need, “ “ “ supply ALL your needs.
c. “ “ “ out of your POVERTY, “ “ “ “ out of HIS RICHES!
d. You sent it by Epaphroditus, but God will send it by Christ Jesus!
4. This promise was made to givers, to people who were generous and gave sacrificially.
5. This indicates the importance of tithing and giving offerings. If we’ll be faithful, God will be faithful to us!
1. This morning we’re looking at Paul’s all-encompassing thought, “MY GOD SHALL!”
2. We’re looking at the 1. The Lofty Idea of Who God Is; 2. The Contrast with Little Faith; and 3. The Vast Resources and Will of God to meet your needs.
I. LOFTY IDEA OF WHO GOD IS
A. CONNECTION BTW VISION & FAITH
1. It's been said that, "No man/woman lives beyond their vision." The bigger your vision, the greater your potential!
2. Helen Keller, who was completely blind, was once asked, "What would be worse than being born blind?" She responded, "To have sight, without vision!"
3. Do you have a vision of what God wants to do with your life? Proverbs 29:18 says, "Without a vision, the people perish." The NIV adds, “the people cast off restraint."