Summary: But my life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God.
MY PERSONAL TESTIMONY
*NOTE - This message is a little different from my normal messages... rather than just an exegetical Bible message, it is the outline to my testimony that I shared with our church family on a water baptism Sunday.*
“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.” (Matthew 28:18-20).
THE GREAT COMMISSION:
1. Make Disciples: Matheteuo – to be a disciple of one; to follow His instructions.
2. Baptize Them: to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge.
3. Teach Them: to observe (obey) all things Jesus commanded.
Jesus never told anyone to pray a sinner’s prayer or just go to church: He said, “Follow me!”
MY PERSONAL STORY:
"But my life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God’s wonderful kindness and love." (Acts 20:24, New Living Translation). I want to share that Good News with you today!
EARLY FAMILY HISTORY:
• Dysfunctional, single-parent family (mom & two sisters) in Saskatchewan
• Absent alcoholic dad - rejection, broken promises, no father figure...
• So poor growing up, one bedroom shack infested with cockroaches and silverfish. Kitchen was a lean-to attached to the rest of the house that leaked whenever it rained. Finally got into low-income housing in Regina.
• Mother remarried when I was 10, never got along with step-dad at first (my fault)
• High school – moved to Rouleau – got into trouble (drinking, just like dad)
• 1988 - Age 16 – first job in Red Deer, AB, working at McDonalds - met Jerrold
• August 14, 1989 - farmhouse outside of Lacombe, Alberta – salvation – but no growth
• Regina Summer Stage - went by the name of River - long hair, earring - identity issues
• 18th Birthday – friends took me out to a bar, got drunk, passed out, threw up in car, etc.
• Fall 1990 – all-nighter drive-in – “There’s something missing!” – went to see Dad.
• September 29-30, 1990 – real change came: began a discipleship process:
o Holy Spirit baptism, water baptism, first Bible, church attendance, new life!
WALKING WITH JESUS:
• 1990 - Solid Rock - friends, life in church (amazing church family, love & acceptance)
• Story – dating Tammy, “I’m just taking out the garbage!” – loved & accepted me!
• Process of change = just because I started attending church didn’t mean I became perfect:
o Story – drinking with Tery one night; early for church the next morning.
o Didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to be drunk anymore, until I read it in the Bible!