Summary: God sent John the Baptist an ordinary man to prepare people to meet Jesus. God wants you to do the same!
NEEDED: Ordinary People!
John 1:6–9 God sent a man, John the Baptist, to tell about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. John himself was not the light; he was simply a witness to tell about the light. The One who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
I. God Sent an Ordinary Man.
A. God sent John the Baptist, an ordinary man.
1. He was not brilliant.
2. He was not rich.
3. He was just another guy.
B. God has saved us for a purpose:
1. Worship Jesus.
2. Witness for Jesus.
How are you doing in fulfilling your purpose for Christ?
II. The Ordinary Man had an Extraordinary mission.
A. John’s mission was to prepare people for Jesus.
1. John gave up everything to obey Jesus.
2. John obeyed even when it cost him his life.
B. He knew Jesus and wanted others to know Him.
C. But even John had struggles:
Luke 7:20 When the men came to Jesus, they said, "John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' "
Are you on a mission for Christ?
III. The Ordinary Man had an Extraordinary message.
A. John was to tell people about Jesus.
1. Jesus is the Light.
2. Jesus requires repentance.
B. John was to prepare people to meet Jesus.
How are you preparing people to meet Jesus?
Do you have a message?
1. We have all sinned and fallen short of God’s standards.
2. We cannot save ourselves.
3. God sent His Son, Jesus, to live perfectly and die the death we deserved, and rise again on the third day.
4. Anyone who repents (turns) from Sin and follows Jesus will be saved.