Summary: Too few people learn how to negotiate from a position of strength, confidence and certainty. Philip presented Christ to the Samarians being mindful of his position of strength. First, Philip believed in the power of the gospel, the word of God, and in the
1. Too few people learn how to negotiate from a position of strength, confidence and certainty. Philip presented Christ to the Samarians being mindful of his position of strength.
First, Philip believed in the power of the gospel, the word of God, and in the person of Jesus Christ. When you are communicating to people be sure that you are fully assured of the power of the word of God. Do all you can to go into each situation with adequate prayer and preparatory study.
Second, Philip went forth under the empowering of the Holy Spirit of God. Philip realized that the opposition would be too much for him to overcome unless the Spirit gave him the power to preach the truth in love.
Third, Philip preached Christ to the felt needs and wants of the Samarians. Learn to study the contextual needs of the people so you are able to apply the best solutions to peoples’ most perplexing problems.
Fourth, Philip presented the truth in a way that offered great joy to people who were tired of the sorrows of sin. Learn how to present Christ’s positive answers to individual’s negative problem.
Fifth, Philip knew that many people were captives to their beliefs in other kinds of powers and yearned for liberation.
Application: Ask the Lord to direct you to people who are hurting, receptive and willing to listen to solutions for their problems. It is only when people get tired of living in emptiness, deception and ignorance of the truth that they are ready to turn everything to Christâs control. Trust the Lord to give you greater negotiating power, strength and wisdom in all situations.
2. Negotiate from a position of great joy. Philip empathized with the sorrow, gloom and ruination felt by most of the Samarians. If we just learn to listen, we will find that many people are hurting and eager to find a medicine that will bring joy where there is sadness.
Philip’s proclamations brought great joy to those who responded to the truth. Learn how to develop a positive, upbeat and joyful approach in all of your communications. Philip knew that a relationship with Jesus Christ would bring great joy to individuals, to families, to cities, and to all people groups.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you draw on a recollection of all the great joy that Christ has provided for billions.
3. Philip learned how to illustrate, inspire and enlighten people with truth. There are many teachers and preachers who can deliver truth, but they are presenting it without proper illustrations, inspiration or enlightenment.
Application: Ask the Lord to give you whatever you need to deliver the truth of Christ with clearer illustrations, inspiration and enlightenment.
4. Philip used healing ministries to strengthen his negotiating position. Throughout church history, missionaries have learned how to strengthen their communications with hospitals, clinics and mobile medical dispensers. We all are weak, frail and prone to breakdowns.
Application: God powerfully used the miracles and healing performed through Philip to strengthen the entire church’s negotiating position with everyone in the region.
5. Philip never forgot whom he was negotiating for. Even when Simon, the sorcerer and many of the believers in superstition were impressed with Philip he reminded them that he was just the messenger.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you remember you are only responsible for what the Lord assigns you to do ö nothing more and nothing less.
6. Philip learned how to make the necessary arrangements for the multitudes of new believers to make settlements with Christ. It is never easy for someone to make the transition to a new life in Christ.
Application: Help paved the road to changes through love and wise counseling. Philip stayed in the city long enough so the people could come and seek advice in the best ways to make the changes required of them in starting their own church.
7. Philip negotiated from a clear position of truth and wisdom without being haughty about it. The reason why many people do not place their trust in Christ is they are afraid of having to humble themselves before a patronizing preacher.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you present the truth in love without being condescending.
8. Philip remembered that God works great success through small instruments. Never forget that God and one are sufficient for any difficult negotiation.