Summary: Funeral Service for 66 year old faithful Christian lady who endured a heart transplant.
Song ________________ Family Enters
We were all shocked to hear of the passing of Debbie. We knew she had been battling her condition for some time but she was home and seemed to be doing relatively well. We have gathered here, as is our custom, to conduct a service to remember Debbie; to comfort her family; and ultimately honor God.
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?” John 11.25-26
A question we might ask is, “Do we believe this?”
Debbie was a planner. She had already purchased a Valentine’s Day card for Mel. She had planned meals days in advance.
Debbie liked to journal and when Facebook came along, she used it.
Some posts in her FB account:
12.13.16 – “On my way home” – on 1.14.17 she went home to the place Jesus has prepared for her
Rosie · January 14 at 11:08pm ·
• Sitting here at my brother Melvin’s tonight can't believe his wife Debbie passed away this morning! I know of no one who wanted to live more than her! She has fought to live really hard the last few years but every time we thought she wasn't gonna make it she showed us she was and did !!
• I loved her faith in God her love for life her love for her family and her church family who were always there for her and Melvin anytime and every time they were needed !
• I'm gonna miss her calls her joyful spirit!! God truly gained another Angel today !! I know she's having the time of her life playing catchup with her mom and Dad !!
• Missing you already and still can't believe your gone ! Please keep my brother Melvin and the family in your prayers! He's took care of her so long he will be lost without her ! So after everything is done and over please continue to pray for he will be alone it's gonna be hard for him ! We appreciate all the prayers and kind words !!
Quotes she posted which expressed some of who she was:
• “No matter what you are going through, no matter how long you are waiting for answers; one thing that we can be sure of is God is faithful. He keeps his promises.”
• “Don’t worry! God is never blind to your tears; never deaf to your prayers; and never silent to your pain. He sees, He hears, and He will deliver you.”
• “Dear God, I want to take a minute not to ask for anything, but to simply say thank you for all I have!”
• “Forget about revenge. Instead pray for the people who have hurt you.” Matthew 7.12
• “God is the only reason I have made it this far.”
• “I love you to the moon and back.” – Special significance to her family
On Headstone – “If you miss heaven, you missed it all.”
Descriptions of Debbie:
• “Big Heart”
• Dr. Nelson: She was like a cat – she had Nine Lives! Every time we thought she was going to pass, she bounced back.
• “She was a fighter.” – She did what she needed to do to live as long as she could. She went through the many demands and challenges of the heart transplant as well as the aftermath – 56 pills/day plus insulin – she wanted to see as much of the lives of her children and grandchildren as possible – she LOVED her family!
Heart Transplant Statistics
• 6-12 - Average number of months a patient spends on the heart transplant list.
• 1967 - The year the first heart transplant was performed.
• 4 - Number of hours it takes to transplant a heart into a recipient.
• 2,332 - Number of Americans who had heart transplants in 2011. About 2,000 transplants take place in the U.S. each year.
• 3,158 - Current number of people waiting for a heart transplant. About 3,000 people are on the wait list for a new heart at any given time.
• The transplant gave the Warden family 18 or so more years with Debbie
There are 862 Heart Passages in the Bible – Including:
Psalm 53.1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?
I Samuel 16:7 “For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
Psalm 51:10, David asks the Lord: Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.