Summary: Make your heart Christ's home.
A. NEW YEARS RESOLUTION
1. Make your heart Christ’s home.
2. Determine to please Christ every day. Jesus didn’t come to sit on a throne in Jerusalem, but to sit on the throne of your heart. “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matt. 6:33).
3. Don’t let anything get between you and Christ. “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin” (James 4:17).
B. NEW YEAR’S DAY IN THE WILDERNESS
“Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: ‘On the first day of the first month you shall set up the tabernacle of the tent of meeting’” (Ex. 40:1-2).
1. What was the first thing Israel did on the first day of the year? Placing God at the center of their life.
a. They were responsible; God didn’t do it for them.
b. They had to make it beautiful (Ex. 35:34).
c. They have to use their skill (Ex. 35:30ff).
d. They were responsible for everything on the inside (Ex. 36:1-5).
e. They had made it all come together.
2. God will live in what we offer Him, but:
a. Does it glorify Him?
b. Does it please Him?
c. Can God use it to reach out to others?
3. We are responsible for what we set up for God. “You shall set up the Tabernacle” (40:2).
4. We are responsible for the priority of the things we do. Note the sequences and meaning of God’s order. “Make the first thing, the first thing” -Curley
(1) The Ark of the Testimony (v. 3), the box where God sat. His presence.
(2) The veil (v. 3), separation and holiness.
(3) Table of show bread (v. 4), strength and satisfaction.
(4) The lampstand (v. 4), guidance and truth.
(5) Altar of incense (v. 5), prayer and help.
(6) Altar of burnt offering (v. 6), forgiveness and fellowship.
(7) The golden laver (v. 7), cleansing.
(8) Courtyard (v. 8). Privacy and reverence.
(9) Anoint everything (v. 9-11). Power for living and service.
(10) Anoint Aaron (v. 12-15) get an intercessor.
C. WHAT PRIORITIZING DOES FOR YOU
1. Make scripture both the core and first. “Moses . . . took the Ten Commandment’s testimony and put it in the ark” (v. 20).
a. Ground your conversion in the Bible. “He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Phil. 1:6).
b. Live by Bible principles. “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” (Ps. 119:105).
c. Grow in the Bible to grow in Christ. “As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby” (1 Peter 2:2).
2. Be cleansed daily from sin by the blood. “He put the mercy seat on top of the Ark” (v. 20).
a. Try to live above sin. “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7).
b. Keep short accounts with God. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).