Summary: We live in a world where we have to choose daily between being a victor or a victim. Fortunately the Lord gives us the power to overcome evil with good through the power of His conquering love. Here are nine essential characteristics of a love that helps
Nine Characteristics of Conquering Love (Rom 8:31-39)
We live in a world where we have to choose daily between being a victor or a victim. Fortunately the Lord gives us the power to overcome evil with good through the power of His conquering love. Here are nine essential characteristics of a love that helps us not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good:
1. CONQUERING: We are more than conquerors through Him who loves us. (Rom 8:37) Because of the finished work of Christ on calvary we simply need to appropriate the identity we already possess in Christ. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
2. CONSTANT: Who will separate us from the love of God? No one can condemn us. No trouble can alarm us. No danger will overwhelm us. No persecution can cause us to be abandoned. No pressure can crush us. No put down can get to us. We are assured of the consistency and constancy of His love at all times and in all situations.
3. CELEBRATING: We can rejoice in the love of God always as it gives us strength, health and vitality. His lovingkindness is better than life. He is constantly interceding for us from the right hand of the throne of God. The Lord God is in the midst of us shouting over us with singing of triumph.
4. COMPLETE: We can praise and thank God that there is nothing lacking in His love for us. His love is perfect. There is no fear in love for perfect love casts out fear. We can now love without hesitation because He first loved us. (I John 4:10 (quickview) )
5. COMPANIONSHIP: We can praise and thank God because He will never leave us or forsake us so that we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper, from whom then will I be afraid." His fellowship in the Spirit assures us that we are never alone. He assures us of a great sense of our belonging and acceptance as one of His beloved.
6. CONFIDENT: We can praise and thank God that we can be confident that we can do everything He asks us to do with the help of Christ who gives us the strength, power and confidence that we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. His love instills in us love from a pure heart, a good conscience and a sincere faith. His love assures us that no matter what happens to us in life we can feel assured that we are His children and know He will perfect that which concerns us.
7. CONSIDERATE OF EVERYTHING: We can praise, rejoice and thank God that His love considers every need, every problem and every challenge that we will face. There is nothing that His love overlooks. We do not have to worry, fret or get angry when things do not go our way since His love is sovereign over all. Even Job concluded His life of suffering by saying, "Lord, now I know you can do all things and no purpose of yours can be thwarted." (Job. 42:1,2)
8. CHRIST-CENTERED: We can praise and thank God that His love points us to Jesus Christ, the author and perfecter of our faith. His love is always patient and kind, not jealous or envious or boastful or proud or haughty or selfish or rude. His love is not self-centered, easily angered, nor does it keep a record of wrongs, nor does it rejoice in evil, but rejoices in truth. It always bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things. His love never fails throughout eternity.