Summary: Finding Nirvana
THE TRUTH ABOUT HAPPINESS
• Job 5:17 “Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:”
o Job 1:21-22 “Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 22In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.”
o Job 2:10 “…What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.”
God Loves You
• Proverbs 3:12 “For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.”
You Can Handle It
• 2 Corinthians 10:13 “…God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.”
Forces us to Depend on God
• 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 “For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: 9But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:”
Suffering Changes Us
• Hebrews 12:10-11 “For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.”
Our Suffering Helps Others
• 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; 4Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.”
• Take your most painful experience and ask yourself some key questions…
o How did this event force me to rely upon God?
o How was I changed through this experience?
o Is there any bitterness in my heart as a result of this experience? If so, confess it.
o How can this painful experience be used to help others?