Summary: Knowing God among people who say there is no God
Fools Theology – Atheism, Wickedness, God’s Sovereignty, and Ultimate Salvation - 5&6 in 14 and 5 in 53 are different but relatively the same meaning. Used for Temple worship; by David; warning to the wicked for denying that God exists.
"Mahalath" means "a time of affliction when the godless mock, or to sickness of man's human depravity. the state and condition; facing a national crisis of hate and jealousy.
"Maskil" (style the Psalm) - teaching, or instructive Psalm that is aimed at bringing reckless man back to understanding God's laws. God is patient and loving "not willing that any should perish, but that all come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.
1. Warning to the wicked. Verses 1-5 / Romans 1:18-32 -"A fool says in his heart, there is no God."
a. Gen. 6:5 "man thought evil continually in his heart."
b. Jer. 17:9 "the heart is deceitful above all things, who can know it?
c. Matt. 15:19 "out of the heart come evil thoughts."
d. Prov. 27:19 "As water reflects a man's face, so his heart reflects the man."
e. Prov. 23:7 "what a man thinks in his heart so is he."
Romans 1:18-32 - The Apostle Paul describes the fool very candidly in verse 30 about the wicked "…they are heartless…" The problem with the foolish wicked is there unbelieving heart.
2. Warning to the Christian. Verse 2
The warning for the Christian is to not live a life as if there is no God. This is very possible to do if we don't let it! The warning for us is that we can get to such a place in our lives that we lightly look upon our own sin and foolishness. The warning for us can be found in the reading and studying of Romans 3:10-31: In 23, “ALL” – including me – That’s why in Lord’s table we ask for ‘examination’. Warning against Complacency
3. Comfort to the Believer. Verse 6 - "Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion! When God restores the fortunes of his people, let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!" - There is comfort – our Redeemer has come! Jesus Christ has come in the form of a man and in the Person of the Godhead! We receive comfort that when the godless mock God and Christianity they are doing so from unbelieving hearts and we receive the Good News as comfort in this sin-saturated and cursed world we live in.
• Isa 59:20-21 – Redemption for those who repent
• Zech 8:1-3 – I am jealous for Zion; I WILL Return
• Matt 1:18-23 – Immanuel (God is with us)
• 1 Thess 4:13-18 – Our Comfort