Summary: Thesis; For all to understand that tears are for those on earth, not for those who will inherit Heaven
NO MORE TEARS
Thesis: for all of us to understand that tears are for those on earth, not for those who will inherit Heaven
1. The Elder here asks John these questions not to learn but to teach
2. The answer returned by the apostle,
a. in which he tactfully acknowledges his own ignorance,
b. and sues to this elder for information: “Thou knowest.”
c. Those who would gain knowledge must not be ashamed to own their ignorance, nor to not desire instruction from any that are able to give it.
3.  we see these faithful had endured “great tribulation” and were rewarded.
4. We too, will endure great tribulation.
5. Thru Jesus Christ our robes will be white as snow, but not before they are stained;
a. With the sins of mankind
b. With the tears of a passionate life
6. Today we will come to an understanding of what these tears are
a. And whom they are for.
7. This marvelous word-picture from the Apostle John closes with a beautiful expression:
a. “God shall wipe away all Tears”
8. These are not the tears of all men, but the tears of God’s children
9. With their tears the robes of faith are marred, and the pages of history are stained
10. What are the “tears” we speak of?
a. Who are they for?
b. In addition, for what purpose are they shed?
11. There are six types of tears spoken of in the Bible,
a. Let us dwell deep in God’s Word and see what type we will shed.
Body: “The robes of faith are wrinkled, and the pages of history stained with:
1. The tears of “pity”
a. Compassionate people weeping for the fearful doom of hardened sinners
b. Luke 19:41-42 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it,
saying, "If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the things that make for your peace!
But now they are hidden from your eyes. (NKJ)
c. Jesus wept bitterly night and day that Jerusalem would come to believe
d. He held dear to his heart his bothers and sisters, as we do today
e. But as the day approaches we too will leave behind those we love
i. Those we desire to hear the word of God, but through the deceitfulness of sin will not hear,
ii. These we will leave behind, and with them our tears of pity.
2. The tears of “Sympathy”
a. Tenderhearted friends who share sorrow
b. those who weep with the ones who weep.
c. John 11:35 “Jesus wept”
i. Jesus wept not for the loss of Lazarus
1. But for the pain shared by his family and friends
2. Thomas said  “Let us go that we may die with him”
3. The pain of loss is a huge obstacle to overcome; but in heaven, there will be no such feeling.
ii. We must weep with those who have suffered loss while we are here on earth, for there will be no one suffering from sympathy in heaven.
3. The tears of “Bereavement”
a. A David weeping for his son Absalom (2 Sam. 18:33)
i. There will come a time when we will wait at the gate for our children
ii. However, it will be to no avail; for they will have been slain by the sword of unbelief.
b. Or A Rachael weeping for her children because they are not ( Matt 2:16-18)
i. They would not be comforted, because they are not, that is, they are not in the land of the living,
1. [Lost to drugs, alcohol, pleasures of the world]
ii. We lose many children today to the heavy hand of Satan.
iii. Just as Herod slew these innocents, Satan lies in wait for your children
c. Cry your tears of bereavement today, mothers and fathers, for they will not be tolerated in Heaven
4. The Tears of “Penitent Souls”
a. These are the tears wept over sad mistakes made in life.
b. These are the price paid for indecision and reluctance on the part of the sinner
c. These tears a re wept for a life of sin, and its sorrowful state
d. [LK 7:36-38]
i. Even through this woman, a sinner, knew how she would be treated in this house; she came and served the Lord
ii. She was victim of ridicule and indignation, but she wiped the Lord’s feet with her tears and begged forgiveness.
iii. She gave all she had and then gave her soul
e. [LK 22:54-61]
i. Peter faced even a more difficult challenge
ii. How to overcome his fear and “wait upon the Lord”
1. Different kinds of waiting on the Lord
2. This kind required a denial of the truth