Summary: This sermon looks very practically at what it means to have no other gods BEFORE God. It may just surprise you!
No Other gods Before Me!
© 2007 Eric Bain
NOTE: This sermon is available in audio format @ www.sanctuary-church.com
You know over in West Sac there’s a new Wal-Mart Super Center…
• And I know that some of you may be very much against Wal-Mart… you want to rage against the machine...
• But, I got to admit… I was very eager for it to open… and not for the reason you might think
• The Wall-Mart 15 pt Oil Change
o They not only change the oil, but…
Fill the washer fluid
Fill the tires
Check your tread depth
Grease the joints
They take out the trash…
And they vacuum the interior
o They breath new life into your automobile – all for twenty some bucks!
o And if you’ve seen my Jeep Cherokee… you know that’s a really good thing!
o When I drive out of the Wal-Mart 15 pt Oil Change
I feel like my car has a new lease on life
It’s like it’s got more power… I know that’s not true.
But I feel like it can go farther
And go faster
• It reminds me of when my son was about four… and he used to think he could run faster just because he got new tennis shoes!
It’s the Wal-Mart 15 pt Oil Change… and think what you want about the beast… but I am a fan!
But here’s why I bring that up….
Wouldn’t it be awesome… if there was something like a Wal-Mart - 15 pt Oil Change for our Spiritual lives?
• Cause I don’t know where you’re at…
• Maybe your faith is on fire… but you want to maintain that fire. In fact, you want to stoke it up!
• Maybe you’ve been a Christian for the majority of your life… but over time the energy has just been drained out of your walk with Christ.
o You know… you were really on fire when you first came to faith… but now that fire is only embers
o In fact, maybe your even thinking that this faith – like an old car – is gonna die… if something doesn’t breath life back into it.
• Or, finally… maybe you wouldn’t even consider yourself a Christian.
o But for some reason you’ve found yourself here this morning. Perhaps it’s because you’re just trying to figure some things out… cause you know there’s a spiritual aspect to this life… and it just feels like… you’re not firing on all cylinders!
o Or who knows… maybe you were just dragged here by some friend
But my point is… Wouldn’t it be great … wouldn’t it be cool… if we could just have something like a Wal-Mart 15 - pt Oil Change done on our Spiritual lives?
Well, we can…
Only, it’s not a 15 pt service… it’s a 10 pt service… and it’s found in the book of Exodus… Chapter 20
Exodus is the 2nd book in the Bible… If you don’t have a Bible, there are some on the tables throughout the room. Don’t be embarrassed to get up and get one.
Exodus, Chapter 20… While you flip there let me give you a little HISTORY to set the scene...
• There’s an ancient group of people known as the Hebrews
• And they were conquered and turned into slaves by the Egyptians
• But they believed in… and worshiped… the one true God – Yahweh!
o And although he must have seemed like a distant God
o They cried out to him
• Even if you’ve never read the Bible, you’re likely familiar with the story of the Hebrews being miraculously released from their Egyptian oppression.
o Cecil B. DeMille did a famous movie called The Ten Commandments
o Disney, more recently, did a film called The Prince of Egypt
Both of these films tell the story… a story that actually comes from the book of Exodus…
Which is found in the Bible
In a nut shell….
• A guy named Moses get’s a calling from God to lead his people to freedom!
• Then God – for his part – does a series of miracles to make this happen…
o Probably the most famous of which is the parting of the Red Sea
o You see, God parts the Red Sea to bring the Hebrews to safety in the desert…
o And then he releases the waters to wipe out the Egyptian army
• It must have been a very exciting time for the Hebrews!
o They’re faith must have been so alive
o So real
o So fresh
But – in truth – that didn’t last long
Cause they then spent 3 months walking through the desert!