Summary: Hell is not a joyous topic to preach or hear, but it must be remembered that Jesus spoke more of hell than of heaven.
NO WAY IN HELL
INTRODUCTION: Hell is a difficult topic to preach. There is no joy in the topic. The only joy is diverting a soul away from that horrible place. It is no joking or laughing matter. Hell is a real, physical place. Jesus spoke of hell more than He spoke of heaven.
I. NO REST IN HELL
1. One is conscience in hell (v.23). The Bible teaches that one’s existence does not end at death, but continues on forever—either in heaven or hell.
2. Hell is a place of eternal torment reserved for the ungodly (v.24).
3. Jesus taught that there is a place of eternal punishment for those condemned before God.
Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Matthew 5:29-30 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Matthew 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
Matthew 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Luke 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.
Luke 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
II. NO HOPE IN HELL
1. It is the terrifying reality of continuous punishment, the place of a everlasting, continuous “fire that shall never be quenched” (Mark 9:43).
2. Hell was made for the devil and his angels (Matthew 25:41).
3. Hell is a place of wailing and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 13:42,50). There is no song in hell.
Matthew 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
4. Hell is a place of binding and outer darkness (Matthew 22:13). There is no light. What a difference from heaven where the Lamb is the light—no need of the sun or moon.
Matthew 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
5. Hell is a place of separation from God, loved ones, and heaven (Luke 16:23).
6. Hell is a place of remembrance (v.25).
7. There is “a great gulf fixed” (v.26).
III. PRAYER NOT ANSWERED IN HELL
1. The rich man prayed to no avail (v.27).
2. I have heard people say that hell won’t be bad because their friends will be there.
3. The rich man found that he didn’t want his loved ones there.
4. Hell is for ALL ETERNITY!