Summary: Noah as a father tried to lead his family to faithfulness to God. .
Genesis 6:9-22 “Noah Tried”
1. Noah lived in the following type world
• The world he lived in was filled with evil. Gen 6:5 The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
• His world filled with corruption “Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.”
• His community had lots of violence so much so God said, “6 And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.”
• Is Noah’s world like our world ? Noah’s world filled with evil, corruption, and violence
• our world is filled with shootings( People shoot kids in school slaughter of the innocence), killings( Terrorist bomb crowds all over the world), Dishonesty( Stealing’s) , selfishness ( we want it all)
• When Jesus described the events that will surround His second coming, He said, “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man.,
2. Noah despite living in that evil world the Bible says Noah was righteous Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God. – Gen 6:9
• Noah was the only person living for God in the evil world
• The Bible says he was blameless among the people of his time. It also says he walked with God.
• Noah was the only man alive that pleased God. It's hard to imagine such unwavering faithfulness in the midst of total godlessness.
• Noah had unwavering faith He was blameless among the people of his time. This does not mean Noah was perfect or sinless, but he loved God with his whole heart and was fully committed to obedience.
3. Noah Did what God said to Do: "Noah did everything just as God commanded." His life of 950 years, exemplified obedience.
• Note Noah did what God told him to build and Noah built God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. You build an ark for the saving of your family “
• It took Noah a life time to build some believe between 100-120 years to build Gen 6: 3 Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”
• I believe Noah tried Every day Noah preached to the people. Noah’s words according to Jewish tradition: “Be ye turned from your evil ways and works, lest the waters of the flood come upon you, and cut off all the seed of the children of men.”
• Noah loved God with his whole heart and was fully committed to obedience. Noah's life revealed qualities of patience and persistence, and his faithfulness to God did not depend on anyone else.
4. Noah Tried but He Failed
• Noah had weaknesses his weakness was wine Genesis 9He became drunk and passed out in his tent, making himself an embarrassment to his sons.
• Noah failed at preaching, no one saved, no converts, no baptisms, no church growth
• Every day Noah tried to tell the people God is not pleased with the evil, corruption, violence
• Noah’s sons Ham, Shem, and Japheth saw the efforts of their Father Noah and as a result they were saved
• They saw their Father try to walk faithfully with God
• They saw Their Father try to live as blameless as possible in a corrupted society
• They saw Their Father try to be as persistent as possible in building an ark of safety
• Ham, Shem, and Japheth may have said because my Father tried I am on the boat to Zion!
• Fathers your children are depending on your efforts to show them the way to heaven.