Summary: But God gives us a part in the process: 1. Get serious about spiritual growth (vs. 1-4). 2. Find more ways to work with God (vs. 5-9). 3. Have faith in God’s Foundation (vs. 10-11). 4. Stay focused on our future (vs. 8 & 12-15).
Nobody Does New Like Jesus!
Sermon by Rick Crandall
Grayson Baptist Church - Jan. 6, 2013
*We call it a new year, but for most people, it really doesn’t seem new: Same routine, same troubles in the world, and pretty much the same me when I look in the mirror. If we really want new, we have to go to God! He loves to do new things in people’s lives.
*In Psalm 40:1-3, King David said:
1. . . I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, and heard my cry.
2. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps.
3. He has put a new song in my mouth -- Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, and will trust in the LORD.
*In Lamentations 3:22-23, the Prophet Jeremiah said:
22. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.
23. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
*In John 13:34-35, Jesus said this to His followers:
34. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
35. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
*In 2 Cor 5:17, Paul said this about everyone who receives Jesus: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
*And in Revelation 21, the Apostle John gave this great testimony:
1. And I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.
2. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.
4. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.''
5. Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new.'' And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful.''
*Nobody does new like the Lord Jesus Christ! -- And in 2013, He wants to do new things in our lives. But God gives us a part in the process.
1. First: We have to get serious about spiritual growth
*God wants us to grow in our Christian life. There is no doubt about it in vs. 1-4. Here Paul was speaking to Christians who were not growing like we should. So the Apostle said:
1. And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ.
2. I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able;
3. for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men?
4. For when one says, "I am of Paul,'' and another, "I am of Apollos,'' are you not carnal?