Summary: First in series of messages based on the book NOT A FAN calling Christians to move from being fans of Jesus to becoming committed followers.
Not a Fan Series – Message #1 - LWCC09162012
September 16, 2012
Discuss the Children’s Game: Follow the Leader
• The expectation is that whatever the leader does, the followers will do as well
• It’s such a simple thing, and children get it and do it and enjoy it.
• However, as adults in church we don’t seem to have the same mind-set
Discuss the command: “Go, clean your room.”
• The AWANA Child returns: “Dad, I am so excited! I have memorized your command to clean my room! Isn’t that so awewsome!”
• The Seminary Child returns: “Dad, I have learned to read and say your command in both Greek and Hebrew! Is that cool? Do you wanna hear it?”
• The Church Child returns: “Dad, I have started a small group to study your command to clean the room. We’re going to meet for several weeks so we can fully understand what you are asking in the context in which you are asking.”
QUESTION: Does the room ever get clean? Is the COMMAND ever followed?
Then there is this possible scenario:
• The Cooperative Program Child returns: “Dad, I have given our neighbor , Sam, some money and he’s going to clean my room instead of me.”
So the room is cleaned, but the one to whom the command is given still has not obeyed the giver of the command.
• Jesus commands us: “Be born again.” (John 3.7)
• Jesus commands us: “Seek FIRST God and His righteousness” (Matt. 6.33)
• Jesus commands us: “Pray always” (Luke 21.36)
• Jesus commands us: “Let your light shine before men” (Matt. 5.16)
• Jesus commands us: “Worship the Father in spirit and truth” (John 4.23-24)
• Jesus commands us: “Love your neighbor” (Matt. 19.17-19)
• Jesus command us: “Go, make disciples…” (Matt. 28.19-20)
And are we responding as the child in our illustration? We are doing something, but we are not doing what was commanded. We have all the appearance of obedience without really obeying.
23 Then He said to them all, “If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will save it. 25 What is a man benefited if he gains the whole world, yet loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory and that of the Father and the holy angels.
27 I tell you the truth: there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”
Picking Apart Luke 9.23 for Today’s Would-Be Followers
• IF – indicates that there is a choice to be made (presupposes a “then” follow-up)
• ANYONE – includes everyone who would make the choice
• WANTS TO – the choice is born from deep desire, not a surface appearance