Summary: Some of us are living in a way that was not Jesus’ plan for us. The Christian walk is not one of patching up our old lives. Nor is it adding some commands to our old lives. Jesus’ plan for us is to have a brand new life.
NOT REBUILT, BUT NEW, AND WITH A WARRANTY
Text: Mark 2:21-22
I. WE HAVE A NEW COVENANT ( John 17:1-5 )
1. It’s not a patch up or an addition to
2. Instead it’s completely new
3. It’s not a promise from man, but rather from God.
1. (John 17:1-2) These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
2. (John 6:37)All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
D. It means eternal security for the believer
E. Payment for sin was paid in the blood of Jesus (Sexton)
F. The receipt is the resurrection of Jesus from the grave (Sexton)
II. WE HAVE A NEW COMMUNION ( 1 Cor. 10:17)
A. We are the body of Christ
1. Many members, but one body
2. We must communicate
3. A body whose members don’t cooperates or communicate is a freak. B. Improper fellowship is evidence of an improper relationship to God.
C. Improper communion hinders the work
1. Imagine if your hands didn’t do what you wanted.
2. What if each foot went separate ways.
3. Our work is hindered unless our body cooperates.
D. We can now enter into the presence of God.
E. (Heb. 4:16) Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
III. WE ARE NEW CREATURES ( 2 Cor. 5:14-17)
A. Not rebuilt, but brand new
B. It is a transformation like a caterpillar to a butterfly ( Rom. 12:1-2 )
C. Victory is not in the repression of sin; but in the confession of sin. ( Sexton)
D. We need to have short accounts with God.
Conclusion: The Jewish scribes and Pharisees thought if they could just do this or that sooner or later they would have the right combination and everything would line up. Jesus came and in essence said, you’ve got it all wrong; nothing will be added to the old covenant you have already stretched it to thin. No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment…. And no man putteth new wine into old bottles Jesus didn’t come to patch up an old religion He didn’t come to add another regulation; He came to give us a new covenant, a new communion, and to make us new creatures in Him.