Summary: We are bought with the precious blood of Christ.
Nothing But The Blood (1Peter 1:19)
1 Peter 1:18-21- (18) Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed
with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (19) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: (20) Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
Authorship: The Apostle Peter
1. Most prominent disciple during the life of Christ (very intense).
2. First 12 chapters of Acts are devoted to his ministry
Situation: Written during a time of intense persecution
1. Worship of the Roman Gods were promoted and retribution was the results of those who refused!
2. According to Tacitus (2nd century historian), Nero burned Christians alive as torches to light his gardens at night. Ref: Keener, Craig S. The IVP Bible Background Commentary, New Testament. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1993. 707. He killed other Christians in equally severe ways (feeding them to wild animals for public entertainment).
Audience: To a mixed audience- ...to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia (1 Pet 1:1)
I) REDEMPTION: (vs 18) You were NOT redeemed with!
A) Redemption Defined: To deliver by paying a price
1. The price is high stakes: For the wages of sin is death (separation from God)
2. Lutrao- Strongest of 3 Greek terms used for Redemption: (Given freedom) To pay the price for the slave and remove him. Emphasizes the freedom that Christ made available to those He redeemed
a. Titus 2:13, 14: Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
B) Not with Silver and gold:
1. Ex 30:16- And thou shalt take the atonement money of the children of Israel, and shalt appoint it for the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls.
2. Ac 3:6 -Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk
C) Not with the; Tradition of your Fathers:
1. Peter is speaking of Jewish heritage; the Law; and Legalism-
a. Heritage: Matt 3:9: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. (It’s personal; each of us will give an account)
b. Law: John 5:38-40: In this ye think ye have eternal life: (38) And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. (39)Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (40) And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
1. Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, yet he has not freed us from the obligation of it...T
a) The gospel is a doctrine according to Godliness. Matthew Henry
b) If God concluded a covenant of promise with Abraham, the law which was given 430 years afterwards could not alter it, and would not supplant it. If inheritance came by the law it would not be by promise. Ref: Tenney, Merrill: Galatians, The Character of Christian Liberty (Grand Rapids, Eerdmans, 1978)
c. Legalism- Righteousness obtained by rightness:
1. Paul’s arguments in Galatians,were not against the law, but against legalism- that perversion of the law which say’s that salvation can be obtained by keeping the law. Ref: Virkler, Henry A. Hermeneutics. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1981. 144.
aa) Acts 7:52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One(Jesus Christ); of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
bb) (Work Salvation)This is found throughout today’s churches:
1. Ephesians 2:8-9- (8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) Not of works, lest any man should boast.
2. Acts 4:12: Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
II But By The Precious Blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:19) (Peter’s Witness)
A) John’s Witness- Revelation 1:5: Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
1. Him who loved (meaning is continuous- loving us continuously)