Summary: Continuing in a series of knowing God. This message looks at worship.
1-17-04 Now Is The Time To Worship (Knowledge of God)
Text: John 4:19-26
Now we will continue in the series of messages on Knowing God.
The text introduces the subject of Worship.
When we think of or hear the word worship immediately we singing comes to mind.
While this can be a part of the act of worship, it is not the whole of worship.
Worship: The reverent love or allegiance accorded to a deity. An ardent, humble devotion. To love or pursue devotedly.
The text tells us that true worshippers must worship in spirit and in truth.
As we look to God’s word, we will see examples of this type of worship.
And when the day is done we will have a knowledge of worship.
I. Where do we start?
A. Our approach to God.
1. Isaiah 6:5 Woe is me for I am undone (doomed)…
a. The unworthiness in the presence of God
b. What is our attitude in the presence of God?
2. Matthew 15:27 The Syrophonecian woman.
B. The attitude of worship.
1. Humble / repentant.
II. Preparing for worship.
A. Isaiah 2:3 and many people will go and say, come ye, and let us go
up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob…
1. Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, let us go into
the house of the Lord.
2. Psalms 100:4 enter His gates with thanksgiving, and into His
Courts with praise, be thankful unto Him and bless His name.
B. How did we prepare this morning?
1. Read the paper or watched the Today Show instead of reading
2. Fussed at our spouses or kids or both instead of kneeling before
3. When we arrived did we come in complaining or thankful.
a. You are always in His presence but this is His house.
III. Worship Him.
A. Habakkuk 2:20 but the Lord is in His holy temple, let all the earth
Keep silence before Him.
1. I Corinthians 3:16 You are the temple of God
2. Sometimes we just have to be quiet. (Quakers / Shakers)
B. Get alone with God, even in a crowd.
C. In spirit and in truth.
1. Don’t fake it.
2. God is seeking those who worship Him and Him only.
D. Be consistent, be constant.
Close: When it comes to worship, it doesn’t matter where you are.
You should be able to enter into worship.
It has nothing to do with traditional or contemporary.
It is not about you! It is all about God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
We have heard today about true worship.
The knowledge is ours, now, what are we going to do with it.
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge, because you have rejected knowledge I will reject you….
Do we really worship God the way He intends for us to?